Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's kind of a tradition on this blog for me to write about what I'm thankful for. The end of the year seems like a good time to look back and remember the good times, and the bad times, but be thankful for where God has left me. Lets move from the beginning of the year on. I don't think there was a better way for my year to start off than in Hawaii. To witness the beauty God created and spend a week with my wife taking in that beauty, was amazing. We were fortunate to meet our neighbors who clued us into a few local things and we enjoyed their company. I can't wait to go back.
Next, I was able to travel to El Paso, TX to once again serve my brothers and sisters in Christ who are struggling far more than I could ever imagine. Every time I go, I receive an education that is more valuable than anything I ever learned in school. The people I serve with are amazing servants of God and I draw inspiration from them, each and every year.
The bad came after that and I personally received the scare of my life. I've lost a lot of people in my life, including a 10 year span where I lost a huge percentage of the people I love, but nearly loosing Marcy was scarier than all of that. To think I almost lost the one person I count on anymore. Loosing my parents hurt, but I didn't rely on them for my day to day support, my daily laughter and spiritual growth. The thought of trying to raise our three boys without her was terrifying. The thought of not seeing her everyday broke my heart. I guess you don't know what you have until you loose it, or almost in my case.
I guess the next event was my year topper, and maybe my life topper, when it comes to travel. I've been blessed with the opportunity to travel to a bunch of different places. My trip to Jamaica was incredible. I always loved going to Mexico. I even enjoyed my trip to Canada where my brother and I were nearly eaten alive by biting black gnats. Of all those places, none compare to Africa. I recently looked back at the photos from the trip and the excitement I felt all came back. Just put yourself there. Think of how you would feel to wake up one morning, walk out your door and see a giraffe. Think about what it would be like to do a safari game drive EVERYDAY. Chad and I got up early everyday we were in Africa, determined not to waste this opportunity we had been given. For me, I think we got about as much out of it we could. To be there and serve God and help the orphans that will be living in the village, was a blessing in my life. I can't thank those of you that helped me get there enough. Without you, we wouldn't have been able to change the lives of those kids. I was proud to represent you and share the love of Jesus with those kids, so far away. I could talk about my trip for hours, which I just about did with my friend Nate who I had lunch with recently and I hogged the conversation. Throw in a trip to LA and Chicago, and my travels for the year are all listed.

Other than travel, to see my kids grow, learn and laugh, is a gift all on it's own. I may not be their best resource for their school work, but I know they want to be around me, and I'll take that for now. I know when they become teenagers, that may change, so I'm enjoying it as long as I can. We play the wii and I let them win. OK, maybe "let" is the wrong word, because they win regardless of what I do. Mario kart with Mason is basically to see what place I can come in behind him, and try to stay out of last place so I don't have to watch Mason do his "First place" dance, which I have seen a lot. I'm thinking about coming up with a 12th place dance, but I'm not sure how to incorporate crying into a dance. My kids make me laugh all of the time and I have posted a bunch of the reasons on this blog throughout the year. To see all of the things they can do now that they couldn't do last year is awesome. Max wouldn't sled with us last year, but this year plopped down on the sled and shot down the hill before the rest of us could even get to the top of the hill. Makiah has the same taste in music as I do and he loves for me to open itunes and blast some Black Eyed Peas, some John Reuben or go old school Smash Mouth. Mason amazes me with his computer knowledge and his story telling. He has a fantastic imagination, I think we'll see a book written by him on the shelves a few years down the road, once he figures out how to bring all of his ideas together in a story everyone else can follow. This year Marcy and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. I guess our short courtship didn't have a negative affect on our ability to stay married. With the schedule we keep and all of the kids, it's hard to spend any quality time together, in Iowa. I guess that is why I always look forward to us being able to travel together, we get to spend a lot more one on one time.

Work wise, I couldn't be happier with the company I work for. They were able to weather the recession, without any layoffs, and appear poised to make a monster come back in 2010. I have been fortunate to work, previously at CE Software and now Channel Prime Alliance(CPA), for companies that have allowed me to do my mission work and supported me when family issues have arisen. CPA has been very understanding with time off I needed when Marcy was in the hospital and has allowed me to work from home to help care for the kids, and avoid dangerous driving conditions in Iowa's lovely winter fun. I feel very fortunate to have a job, for starters, but to work for a company that in my eyes, gets "it" is awesome. It's nice to put the "Career" section of the paper, right in the recycle bin each week, never even having to open it.

I'm thankful for all of my family that doesn't live under my roof. I never get to see them as much as I would like, but I know they are a phone call away if I need them.
I'm also very thankful for all of my friends and my small group, who have supported me and my family through all of our tough times. They made trips to the hospital, called, texted and just poured out love like I've never seen before. They supported me in my Africa adventure, and one of my best friends decided to join me, and I don't think he has regretted it for a second. I don't have many close friends, Marcy thinks that is a problem, but I don't see it that way. The few I have I know would do anything for me, and I hope they know I would do the same. I don't have the time for tons of friends, it's too exhausting. I don't want drama between me and another person, my personality can't take it, so I limit my friends to a few select suckers, I mean, people, and I'm good with it.

I'm thankful I haven't been in an accident, and neither has Marcy and the boys. I'm thankful that I haven't been arrested, even though I was probably pretty close after the woman's bathroom incident. I'm thankful I wasn't eaten by a lion, or more realistically, gored by a Cape Buffalo. I'm thankful I get to live in the great state of Iowa, even in the winter. I can't wait to see what 2010 brings. I hope I have a few things to share with you, so stay tuned.

I love you all! Happy New Year and may at least one of your dreams come true this year.

1 comment:

CJH said...

Mark - love this post! It might just inspire me to write the same kind of "year end reflection". It's been an honor and an inspiration to work so closely with you on so many missions - and hopefully many more.

And, no, I don't regret Africa at all! Glad you "forced" me into it! :-)

Oh wait...maybe you weren't talking about me? ha!