Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hello Ohio!

I’m traveling for work again, this time to Akron, Ohio. As I write this, I’m sitting in the Cleveland airport waiting for my co-worker from CT to arrive so we can head to the hotel. I’ve never met him, so hopefully we can figure out who is who so we can get going. I usually go with a guy named John, but his father passed away, so now I’m going with Felix. I’ll miss seeing John, we work well together and I haven’t seen him in awhile.
The thing I like about traveling is seeing new places that I have never seen before. I flew into Minneapolis, MN, which is a city I’ve been to numerous times, but this is the first time I have flown into the airport. I’d love to say it was the best airport I had ever been to, but I only saw B concourse and a small food court, hardly worth devoting an entire blog to. While at the food court, I saw a guy in full camo and knee high leather boots. I’m not sure if he was a gay hunter or a member of a Village People cover band. The one thing I noticed about the airport was that there were 20 seats in the gate waiting area. This wasn’t a huge plane, but trust me, it held more than 20 people. Most of us had to lean against a wall or sit on the floor while we waited, not fun. I’m always amazed at how fast people fall asleep and then start snoring once we get on board. Luckily, the girl sitting next to me didn’t snore, she even checked with me when she woke up. Another thing I noticed, most places look the same from the air. Des Moines looks like Minneapolis which looks like Cleveland, from the air. Only if there are large buildings or landmarks, can you tell you aren’t in Kansas anymore. There is a comfort in that. The houses in Cleveland look just like the cookie cutter houses in West Des Moines. Most people hate that, I find it comforting. The patchwork fields look so cool from the air, and they are the same as South Africa. Luckily, the flight from Des Moines to Minneapolis is short, so you don’t gain too much altitude. This allowed me to see the wind farms of northern Iowa from the air. If you drive that route, you can see so many of these huge towers, but from the air, you can see how many of them there are and how they are spaced and how they sit in comparison to the towns nearby. Really cool.
The things I like about hotel life. First, someone cleans my room every day. That’s a no brainer, everyone likes that. Second, full control of the heating cooling. Right now, my room is set at 68 degrees, something I could never do at home. Third, quiet. It can be so quiet. I can actually listen to the TV at a low volume instead of at home where I have to blast it to be heard over the kids. Fourth, and probably most important, food delivered to your door. The hotels I stay at have a card you can fill out at night for your morning menu. Then, hang it on the door and awake to a fine breakfast. I try to get up a little early and get dressed before they show up, but I’m sure they have delivered to someone who hadn’t quite got that far in their day. Maybe something interesting will happen at my warehouse and I’ll have something to write about, but probably not.

No comments: