Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ice Storm part 2

Here are a few more shots of the ice. You can't really see the beauty of it, but you can at least see the thickness.
I took this one to show how thick it was on the branches and the one below is our table on our deck.
Our bird feeder is now a jail.
And finally, a Christmas light on our bush out front.

That's it for the pictures, but there were two other things I wanted to mention.

1. What is it with kids wanting to eat the nasty dirty icicles that are hanging from my dirty car? I tried everything to get them to quit eating them, but no luck. I remember doing it as a kid, but I didn't have anyone telling me not to. I finally gave up and hope there isn't anything to bad on them, like arsenic. (If you read my blog regularly, you got that. If you don't, I didn't poison my kids)

2. If you know anything about Iowa, you know that the top two accidents involving amputations are: Farm accidents (mainly augers on grain equipment) and idiots sticking their hands in snow blowers. Seeing as how there is a half inch of ice on the ground, there aren't too many augers working right now, so the snow blower is the leader at this time. I would think that any half way intelligent person would know not to stick their hand/fingers into a spinning object, but I have observed over the years that I must be extremely intelligent, unless it involves a washing machine and a hose. (That is some complicated stuff) I watched as my next door neighbor, who we affectionately call Clark Griswald, stuck his hand in his snow blower, while the motor was running. Now I don't have a snow blower, but I think they actually can run without the blades spinning, but would you risk it? I mean, if the blades quit moving because they were being stopped by snow, would you then release that snow with your bare hand thus allowing the blades to spin, regardless if the motor is engaged or not. I'm both happy and sad to say that the blades did not turn into the wood chipper in Fargo (movie reference, hope you've seen it). That would have been gross and I'm guessing when I grabbed my digital camera to take a few snapshots of it, I might not be invited to the next block party. The sad thing was, he was clearing his neighbors side walk, who has a blower of his own, and left me scooping and chipping like an ass. He could have at least waited until I went inside to clear the neighborhood, except mine. I'll keep that in mind next time the cops show up at his house, which they do several times a year. I'm guessing it's a domestic situation, but oddly they don't discuss it with the neighbors. Next time, I'll be the first one down there when the cops show up and will tell them that I saw him stealing the neighbors mail. Snow blower has a whole different meaning in federal prison.

No comments: