Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

New Car

So I have my new car. I'm not as excited as you would think, since I have a car payment for the first time in 5 years. It has the SYNC system, which is a voice activated system to run your phone, MP3 player and pretty much all of your music options. I'm still learning how to run it all, by using the manual. I'm not one that is afraid to use the manual, I know I loose some of my man points, but I do read them. Here is an example why. I was in the car showing my friend how the phone works. You can see your phone memory on a little screen on the dash, it shows numbers, names, call history and I've read text messages, though I haven't tried that yet. I was working my way around, like I knew what I was doing, and got to the call history. Somehow, I accidentally dialed a number, which I didn't recognize. He looked at it and reminded me that it was his work number. Now the problem came, I don't know how to hang up. Every time I've used the phone in the past, the other person hung up, ending the call. My current phone call is now going to voicemail. I start pushing buttons and yelling at the car, as if it knows the commands I'm yelling. Now I have Joe yelling at my car and I'm sure, to passer byes, it looked like we were having one hell of an argument, but unable to look at each other so we stared at the dash. I kept hitting buttons as I spewed profanities at my car, and something worked. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the phrase "Hang up the damn phone," but you never know. I looked it up in the manual and found you have to HOLD the phone button down, not just push it. I guess that is what I did, but the flurry of activity from the front seat made it impossible to be certain. I think I should ask Joe if he had an obscene phone call on his voicemail when he got to work on Monday. The worst part of that is, it was him yelling at himself. That's got to be a first. I also found two new buttons that I had to read up on, both are something I won't use often, but it's good to know what they are. So far I like it, gas mileage is good and it handles well. Now that I know how to work some of the voice activation stuff, it's even a little better. I'll post a picture soon, but I might wash it first since it is covered in dirt from our recent ice/snow.

No comments: