Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Olympics and my weekend

One of my favorite times of year is just a few days away and I'm ready. I know of have bored you, I mean written about it before, but it bares repeating (shut up, yes it does) For those of you who are unfamiliar with my music taste, it is rather broad, but Christian is my new found favorite. The event that is a few days away is Sonshine Festival in Wilmar, MN. It involves a bunch of bands on several stages spread out over 3 days. This will be my fourth year in a row and even though this year seems to have fewer bands than in the past, it should still be great. There are usually 2 more stages than there are this year, so I'm not sure why the down grade. Could be economics since the stages that are missing were mainly where small bands played and the cost to get there might not be justified. Michelle is going with us, this is her first time, so I'm excited for her to get a taste of the experience. I get to hear John Reuben again, and that always makes my weekend. I hope he doesn't remember me from last year and think that I'm stalking him. If I didn't mention it last year, I caught him on the way to the stage for a picture and then got him to autograph a poster later in the night. When he saw me at the autograph session, he said, "You again." I hope I didn't scare him.

I spent today's lunch hour downtown at a send off for 2 Olympians from Des Moines that are on their way to train and then onto China. We have Shaun Johnson, a gymnast, and LoLo Jones, who runs the 100 meter hurdles. Watch for them in Beijing and cheer them on. They are tops in their events and they are great people, from the interviews I've heard from them. There was a large crowd there today and I hope they felt the love that this area, and the whole state of Iowa, has for them. I don't care if either of them wins a medal, they represent Iowa well and that isn't always a given with athletes today.

No comments: