Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, July 7, 2008

Home sweet home

If you travel at all, you know it is always great to come home. As I walked into the house last night, I remembered how lucky we are to live in the house we do, in the city we do and the great state of Iowa. Don't get me wrong, I loved where we were and the areas we drove through, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. As we were driving through the mountains in western NC and eastern TN, I saw a lot of little communities that made me wonder what the lives of the people who lived there were like. I don't know why, but I always wonder what they do for a living, what do they do for fun and what they think about the area they live in. People always fascinate me, whether I'm reading a biography, true crime or a book on a particular event in history. I want to know what people were thinking or going through at that that time in their life. As for the trip, it was fantastic! Last time I posted, I said we were going to climb a lighthouse, which some of us did. Seems, you must be 42 inches tall to climb, and Max is a bit shy of that. Since I had done it before, I sent Marcy and the other 2 boys up and I hung out with Max in the gift shop and information area. Here is a shot of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse.And the fam in front.We took the ferry to Okacroke Island, which you drive your car onto, and the boys thought that was cool. We fed the seagulls off the back of the boat, which the boys thought that was REALLY cool. These birds fly 2 inches from my head, so I kept me head down so I didn't see how close I was to getting shit on.


The boys got a bit tuckered out.
The boys loved the beach. I mentioned that Mason was riding the boogie board, but only tried to ride it again once over the last 3 days we were there. I think the waves pounded him a few too many times. I mentioned the sand fleas, here are a few shots if you've never seen them.
I also forgot that I hadn't included pictures of Cumberland Falls, so here you go.
And a shot of my rock climbers.And a picture of Mason and his scraped up knees after he fell, doing the rock climbing.
More later.

No comments: