Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

On our recent trip to NC, there was a day that we went to a place called Kitty Hawk Kites that sold, well, kites, among other things. It was kids day, which meant they had crafts for kids (they got to make their own kites), face painting (Makiah got a "shark") and there were demonstrations of a few games, I like to call burner games. They didn't show hackey sack, but these were in the same category. I'm not saying anything bad about them, just the kinds of things you would see guys in ponytails and hemp clothing doing. One game was two sticks that you "juggle" a third stick, making it spin and fly. It was actually a lot of fun and I was considering buying myself a set, until I saw the $30 price tag. I knew my fascination would end shortly, either with continuous play or a serious eye injury, and my kids would last all of 5 minutes with either of the afore mentioned results, so I decided against it. The guy who was demonstrating, had a ponytail, but not the hemp clothing.(see guy in yellow shirt)He was wearing a regular shirt, but his face was screaming out "I need hemp, stat." Seeing as how one of my 2 stereotypes was dead on, I was satisfied. Well low and behold, in today's Des Moines Register, I see a picture here locally of a guy who is teaching kids the stick juggling thing and all be damned if he doesn't have a ponytail. Still no hemp shirt, so I'm going to have to re-think my stereotype, but it's good to see I'm heading in the right direction. The other game was a kind of top that you juggle, again for the lack of a better word, with a string. While the guy was demonstrating in NC, he was also balancing on a board that was on a round tube (right behind my sister-in-laws butt, on the ground), so it was moving. I decided not to try the tube thing, seeing as how a concussion or broken hip would do nothing for my ego or my ability to continue to deny that I'm getting older.

No comments: