Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, September 27, 2010

Mystery

Every Friday, we get donuts at our office. It's a great perk from a company that all ready supplies me Coca-Cola all day. Notice I didn't just say Coke, for fear of a random search that would lead to a visit from the local authorities. Most Fridays, after the first wave of employee's have taken their donut of choice, there are always a few stragglers that weren't selected, either because people are gone so there are extras, or because that particular donut just doesn't appeal to anyone. Now the rest of the day, those donuts just sit there, getting dry, hard and having little chance of being taken. But there is something that happens to these donuts, that confuses me. If you watch them, they start to disappear, not one at a time, but piece by piece. Here is a shot I took after the first wave. You will notice that there is a knife in the box, which is weird.

I left and came back awhile later.

You can see that we have lost a piece of this donut. I came back a bit later and you can see we have a second victim.

A little later and you can see that a second attack on this cherry filled donut has occurred.

Then we have a third victim.

You can see that some of the "bites" are small, so I'm not sure why they are doing it. I mean, would you go into an office break room and pick up a donut that has been hacked up by who knows who? My thought is, either take the whole donut or stick to the diet you are trying to be true too. As the day goes on, these donuts disappear, so maybe other people don't mind eating them. Or, my guess is, the same person comes back again and again, taking it piece by piece. Maybe they think that if you take the entire day to eat a donut, that it somehow will not register the same number of calories. Here is my thought on all of this. Take the fricking donut to your desk and hack it up at your leisure, but I guess that's just me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you cut the donut and only take a small piece, the calories don't count (they all leak out). You can keep going back all day - only taking a small piece - no calories. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Vickie