Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is this June? Feels like March.

Summer is in full swing, now if the weather would just realize it.  I'm not complaining too much about the temperature, I like it a bit cool, but the boys are tired of breaking the ice to be able to get in the pool.  Perhaps that is an stretch, but it's not pool hot weather, if you know what I mean.  That doesn't mean I get to skip cleaning it, so I'm out there skimming and changing the filter, but the boys sure aren't getting their monies worth.
 
The boys are back home and enjoying their summer.  They brought Grandma, Aunt Stacie and Cousin Elaina with them, which has been great as well.  Now that Marcy is working even more nights, it gives me adults to talk to, which may push my breakdown out just a little further.  The Mt. Pleasant crew has been busy, painting our front room, helping sort toys and working on re-finishing furniture.  I have a desk that my parents got from our church in Washington, DC from when I went to Sunday school there and when they retired and moved to NC, I snagged it.  I started preparing it to be re-finished last year, but as with so many of my projects, got put on the back burner.  I'm happy to say that the crew finished it off and it looks great.  It's a small desk and it looks like the kids aren't as interested in it as I had hoped, but that just means I get it to find a place for.  I'll work it out.  That desk, plus my friend Chad visiting Washington, had me reminiscing about my days spent in the DC area.  I saw so many interesting things and people when we were there.  I had conversations with hookers, all be it from a distant church window, and still wonder what they were thinking yelling things to a couple of boys hanging out a church window.  Saw many a crime being perpetrated and was even once concerned that I might be involved in gun play.  I watched a man snort cocaine off the top of a newspaper rack, on the side of a busy street, and had a Chinese lady yell at my brothers to "Leave tip on table."  I got to go through all of those great DC museums and monuments, see tributes to fallen soldiers and walk through Arlington National Cemetery to see what sacrifices had been made for me to be who I am.  Maybe I don't write this blog if I'm in Iran, and have had my hand cut off for stealing those cigarettes that I stole when I was 10 years old.  I got to walk along the Potomac river during cherry blossom time, and that is gorgeous.  I met Jacques Cousteau, Lady Bird Johnson and even the great Muhammad Ali.  I sat with the former director of the FBI, Clarence M. Kelly, and repeated my name to him 5 times, but he still signed my autograph to "Martin."  I have to say, it was a great place to live, for the years I did, but I wouldn't want to move back.
 
Update on the ants, the score is now ants 2, Mark 1.  I spent about $12 and was able to get rid of the ants, so far (knock on wood).  Since I worked my magic over a week ago, I have seen one ant, who was eliminated.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his buddies don't come looking for him.
 
This weekend, we are heading to a lake with my brother and his family for a little vacation.  It should be fun, and hopefully I don't get burned.

No comments: