Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Juarez

I received the following email from one of our leaders for my trip to Mexico, Garold. Hopefully, we will build a house for this family, but there is a lot to get done before we get there for that to happen.



Dear Garold, There are 4 persons in the family. The father is 59 years and he works the night shift in a maquilla. His name is Eustacio Jurado. The mother's name is Catalina Soto and she stays at home and she is 39 years old. The daughters are 14 and 16 years old and they go to high school. They live on the side of the mountain close to the cement plant. It's maybe a 10 minute drive from the mission. There are 2 makeshift rooms on the property. The parents live in a cardboard shack with a roof that I can't describe. The girls sleep in what looks to be the skin of a small truck camper. They are hooked up illegally to the electricty. The water on only in the morning. That's about all I can say , Garold. I truly pray that you will help. God bless you---Frank



A little info, a maquilla is an American factory. Frank is the man who started Community of the Holy Spirit, which is where we stay when we go. If you haven't seen it before, there is a link to his website on the right hand side of my blog. I leave in one week, I'm getting excited. The weather is in the mid 60's this week and is predicted to be that way next week. If it can hold up through the week I'm there, I'll be really happy. Since it snowed on me last year, anything is an improvement. I guess anything better than Iowa weather is an improvement, but at least in Iowa, I have heat.

No comments: