Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Family update

Marcy just spent the weekend in St. Paul, MN at a women's conference. (I'd call it a men bashing seminar, but seeing as how it's a faith based gathering, maybe it wasn't so bad) She seemed to have a good time and it was a good break for her. I try to do as much with/for the boys as I can, but most still comes down to mom. She is a fantastic mother and keeps the boys schedules, which would be very difficult for me. We missed her while she was gone, but all three boys are still alive and without physical scars, so we should be good. Hopefully my parenting style isn't causing any emotional scars that I will pay for in years to come:)
The boys are all loving school. I watched Makiah show Max how to stop, drop and roll, which he learned at school for fire prevention week. It was pretty cute, although I'm not sure Max grasped why he was being asked to roll on the ground. I heard Makiah explain it, but it seemed to confuse Max a bit. We were wrestling the other night and Makiah did a running knee drop onto my ribs, which are brittle since I'm so old. (Thought I'd beat you all to the punch) Needless to say, I was in a bit of pain, but considering where I normally get a knee, I wasn't complaining. Health wise, we are all doing well, which means somebody will be sick tomorrow. In fact, I can't remember when the last time one of the kids was sick. Of course, I hear there is stuff going around, so it's probably just a matter of time. Mason and Makiah are both in a computer class after school and just finished a science class. They like that kind of stuff and we encourage them to get involved as much as they want in it. Makiah has decided he wants to play soccer again in the spring, so we'll see if that lasts until sign up.
As for me, pretty much the same. I just finished reading my third book by J. Maarten Troost and it was another good one. I think I wrote about his other two, when he lived on small islands in the South Pacific. This book was about China, called "Lost on Planet China." It was really good, he makes me laugh and his books are very informative. If your looking for a fun read, check out his stuff.
The weather in Iowa is up and down, as usual, but the trees are beginning to change, so they are beautiful. We are expecting a lot of rain today and tonight, so I'm sure my lawn mowing days aren't over for the year. I'd love to put that thing away for the year, because it sounds a bit sick and I don't want to mess with it this year. It sounds like how my step father use to drive, like a wave. It's like you hit the gas for a second or two, then let off for a second or two, then hit the gas again and so on. It works, but it's annoying as hell and I'm sure that isn't a good sign about its health. The weed wacker died early in the summer, so I have to borrow a friends all of the time. Again, didn't want to deal with it this year, so I'm probably going to buy an electric one next year and a really long cord and give up on the gas powered ones all together, I've had bad luck with them.
Halloween is just around the corner, and thankfully, Mason has decided to skip the ever so tight Flash costume for a new, much less tight SpongeBob costume. That makes dad happy. I think Makiah can get one more year out of Spiderman, but this HAS to be it. I don't know why they don't want new costumes, but they seem to want to wear the same one until the pants become capri pants or they completely bust out. Lets hope the weather is as good as it was last year and they should bring in a good haul for dad, I mean them.

No comments: