Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkins and Mice

We had another busy weekend with Saturday spent at the pumpkin patch and Sunday at Chuckey Cheese. Here are a few shots of the pumpkin patch:Trouble times three.
One big ass rabbit.

Playing in the corn.
Making corn angels.


Spending time with Aunt Michelle. (We went to Howell's tree farm for this, so they didn't miss-spell the sign)

I think the boys had a good time, although Makiah was very disappointed that we didn't get to ride the tractor and wagon, for another $3.50 a person. It all ready cost us $11.50 for the kids to get into the play area, plus we were buying a few pumpkins, so I didn't want to have to sell a kidney just to be able to afford the afternoon. We had had a ton of rain last week, so I was worried that it would be really muddy, but the parking lot was the only place that had much mud. They had a little maze we went through that was a little muddy in spots, but not too bad. They had a slide that, as you can see, was a little rough on the butt.
We found out that sweat pants make you slide all the way to the end of the slide.
Today was spent at Chuckey Cheese, which is normally one of my least favorite places to go, for several reasons. One, one of the kids is usually sick a day or two after we go. We'll see if that happens this time or not. Two, it is crazy and I feel like I will loose one or more of the kids in the mayhem. Three, it's expensive. The kids can go through tokens like they are nothing and it seems the "prices" for the prizes is going up, so it takes a thousand tickets to get a sucker and it costs $20 to get those tickets. I'd rather drive to Target and buy a whole bag of suckers for a couple of bucks and be done with it, but then that wouldn't be any fun. Luckily, we got away with using the tokens from the party and a few we had left over from the last time we were there, so no money exchanged hands. I've heard many people bash the pizza at Chuckeys house, but I actually like it. I wouldn't order it for carry out, but I will never complain about eating it while I'm there, especially if someone else is buying. Marcy just left to take Makiah to his second birthday party of the day, so he ought to come home on a nice sugar high. Thankfully the parties are indoors, because Iowa is experiencing 60 mph winds and a kid with a big coat could end up in Illinois. Next Thursday is beggars night, which for those of you not in the Des Moines area, is trick or treating night. I grew up in St. Louis, MO and Springfield, VA, and I had never heard of trick or treating on any other night other than Halloween, until I moved to Iowa. They say it's supposed to be safer when they move it off of the actual Halloween night, but I don't buy it for a second, and here's why. If they are concerned about drunk drivers, who the hell is drunk by 8pm and on their way home from a Halloween party?(8pm is as late as you can trick or treat) I'm sure the number of drunk drivers is no higher on Halloween night, at 8pm, than it is any other night. Now, if you were allowed to trick or treat until 10pm, like we did when I was a kid, you would have an argument, but until you provide me with statistics showing a high number at 8pm, I'm against moving the night.

No comments: