Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm scared for our future.

I was at the library tonight, looking to see what kind of books they have about South Africa. I'm standing at the computer, doing my search, when two guys walk up to the computer next to mine. These guys are probably in their early 20's, but I'm a horrible judge of age and weight, so they could have been in their 50's, I wouldn't know. I hear the guy typing on the keyboard ask the other guy, "How do you spell jail?" The other guy paused, then spelled it. Guy number one repeated it, with a hint of "are you sure" in his voice. I thought, maybe he is retarded, so he didn't know how to spell it, we move on. Then, brainyack asked, "How do you spell prison?" Now I'm scared for 2 reasons, first, he can't spell two very easy words for a 20 something year old. Second, why does he keep looking this subject up? I was hoping that he wasn't checking on the number of years of a jail sentence he would get for a library massacre. They mumbled a few things that I couldn't quite make out, but I decided I didn't want to wait around to see if they decided the shooting would be worth the time they would serve. I went to the far corner of the library to find my book and read in silence that comes with the back corner. I didn't hear any gunshots, so I headed to the counter to check out my book. I'm a terrible speller, but not being able to spell two very easy words, makes me wonder if they can read at all.

No comments: