Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cooking Cajun

I recently went down to B&B Supermarket in DSM, a little neighborhood grocery store with a deli in the back, for a sandwich. This is the store owned by my ex-inlaws, that I always recommend to people if they are looking for a place to eat or to by meat. One of the sandwiches they serve is called Dad's Killer, which is loaded with meat, cheese and everything else they have access to. I love this sandwich, it's better than anything else in DSM, my opinion and the opinion of a recent poll. You have the option of having your sandwich toasted, which is always a nice touch, but I'm not sure why. You tell me, why is a sandwich better if it is slightly warmer and the bread has a bit of a crunch? Anyway, this got me to thinking that I should now toast my sandwich that I made at home on Saturday. We have a little toaster oven, so I figured I was set. I made my sandwich on a hoagie bun and carefully placed it in the oven. After a minute or two, I decided I would check on it, since I was inexperienced in oven sandwich making. I was slightly surprised, when I opened the door to the oven, that flames came shooting out of the oven. I was a bit more concerned when I noticed that my hoagie bun was indeed, on fire. As I stared at my hoagie bun, the first thing that went through my head was, "That is going to taste bad." I now realize my first thought should have been to put the flames out, but my priorities are typically based on my stomach, so this was no different. I finally snapped out of it and wondered to myself, how will I put the flames out? Water wasn't an option, this is an electric appliance and I'm sure the following fire would be much worse than the small one I had now. A fire extinguisher seemed a bit of an over kill, seeing as how the fire was the size of a half a hoagie bun. The mess the extinguisher would make would be far worse than the small fire I have now. You will be happy to know that the fire burned it's self out and I was able to replace the top with another and eat my lunch. I will say that a burnt hoagie smells a bit like a dirty ash tray, so that was a bummer. I think I'll leave the toasting to a professionals and just eat mine cold next time.

No comments: