Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, November 10, 2008

Sad

I just witnessed something that I wish I hadn't seen. There may be a funny comment in this post, but by no means is this funny. I was sitting in my car today, having my lunch, when I witnessed two guys that appeared to be homeless walking down an alley to my right. They approached a dumpster, lifted the lid and began moving trash bags around. This dumpster was behind a small office building, so I was wondering if they were looking for cans to recycle, old computer equipment to try and sell or just looking to see if there was anything "good" in there. They found a bag that they found particularly interesting, so they ripped it open. They then proceeded to eat out of the bag. I've heard of people eating out of dumpsters behind restaurants, especially fast food, because they throw away food that is perfectly fine and still wrapped in the wrappers. Since this was behind an office building, I'm guessing this was neither fresh nor wrapped up. I'm not sure if that was a sign of the economy or just the way they live, but makes you wonder what you would be willing to do to survive, if you had too. I'm not sure I could eat out of a dumpster. I pray I don't loose my job so I have to find out my limits. I pray you don't loose yours either.

No comments: