Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why me?

While traveling this month, I realized that either weird things only happen to me, or maybe I just notice them more than other people. Here are a few examples.

When I left for El Paso, I checked in at the airport and headed to the security line. The people in front of me reeked of alcohol, and it was 5am.

There was a girl in line wearing one of those surgical masks. I'm not sure if it was to protect her from us or to protect us from her. Either way, odd.

As I'm disrobing so I can go through the metal detector, I keep hearing the detector going off. As I get to the end, I see that they are pulling all of the people who set the alarm off and sending them through a second line where they are using the hand wand. No big deal, but that line was 5 people deep and there wasn't anyone working the wand yet. I prayed that there were no beeps when I went through, and there weren't, so I didn't have to wait an extra hour until the wand guy showed up for work.

I made it to TX and headed to my room for a little relaxation before dinner. I was watching TV, when all of the sudden, it turned off. I turned it back on and thought that maybe I had unknowingly set the sleep timer, so I made a note to myself to not hit that button again. Only problem with that was, all of the buttons on the remote had been worn off, so I had no idea which button it was. I started hitting buttons but sent the TV into a frenzy of menus, different channels and almost ordered a movie, so I gave up. Later that night, it shut off again, this time I was sure I hadn't done it. It did this several more times over the next 2 days I was in the room. There was either an invisible timer that was shutting it off, or my room was haunted and my ghost didn't appreciate the humor of The King of Queens.

When I picked up the van at the airport, they asked me if I wanted to bring back the van with the gas tank full or have them fill it? It would be nice to let them do it, but the charge was listed at $6.99 per gallon, plus a service charge. Does that seem a bit excessive to you, or is it just me?

I've written about things that I have found in the guilty pleasure that is the Skymall magazine. Here is one for the follicley challenged. This contraption is called the X5 Hair Laser. It appears that you just put this thing on your head and move it around like a massager and it helps fill in your thin spots. That's fine, but they also have the picture below.



Sorry its a crappy picture, but this one wasn't on the website. Might be because, as far as I can see, the X5 doesn't help you grow hair, it just makes it frizzy, which gives the illusion of more hair. I could be wrong, but that is how I see it. If you can see it, the number of hairs is the same in both pictures, the second picture just seems that the hair is coming apart. Good luck on that one.

Next up, a subject matter that I addressed once before. If you read my blog awhile back when I was writing about this catalog, I showed you the following picture.

I wrote that I thought owning enough watches to fill this case, 24, seemed a bit excessive. Well now I found a perfect accessory to this, how about a case that automatically winds your watch as you store it?

Couple issues with this. First, it cost $1,499.95, a bit out of my price range. Second, why would you have 20 watches that needed winding? Haven't they heard of a battery operated Casio?

And finally, I found this subtle little pillow that you can hardly see.


Look closely, its a blue pillow just under the mans cheek, neck and 3/4 of his torso. I think I'll pick one of these babies up for my flight to Africa. I sure hope I have 3 seats to myself so I can use it.

No comments: