Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Meals update

For those of you not in the Des Moines area, the Meals From the Heartland weekend extravaganza was last weekend, and I happy to say that over 4 million meals were prepared to ship within the US and all around the world. I'm glad to know that some of the meals will go to the area I was in in South Africa, some will go to Frankie in Mexico, whose mission I have worked at and written about many times, and some are going to New Mexico, which I can only guess is the Navajo reservation that I visited a year or so ago. I've seen the kids that will receive these meals, which makes it that much more powerful an experience. Here I am with my Mission Juarez/El Paso, now Mission Rio Grande, group.


We had a lot of fun doing it. Mason and Makiah got to go with their school to assemble meals and they both loved it, especially Makiah. He is going to be the next missionary in our house. He always wants to go with me and I can't wait until he is old enough to go on his first trip. I'm all ready getting excited to go to El Paso again, even though it is a long ways away. Next year, we are going down as a family to work, that should be a lot of fun. I wish we could blow the doors off 4 million, even though that is a huge number. The need is so great, but the money has to be there. They said a meal costs $.25, so that is really cheap. Our group assembled 15 boxes, each contained 36 packets, which in turn feeds 6 people, one meal. That comes out to 3240 meals we prepared in and hour and a half, amazing. The one bad thing about doing stuff like this, is I never feel I did enough. I wanted to build more, our whole team did. Maybe next year we can build 5 million meals:)

No comments: