Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!! Wait, nevermind.

So you know we have a pet anole, a lizard for those of you with a public education like me who didn't know what the heck it was when I was told we were getting one. His name is Kirby, and he is actually a she, but that isn't important. Kirby is an odd pet. He doesn't like to be held, so he lives in this tank that we throw crickets and meal worms into for him to eat, but unless we are cleaning his tank, he stays solo. Anole's don't drink water out of a bowl or out of one of those hamster things, so you have to spray the sides of the tank and the leaves we have in there for him and he drinks off of those. When you spray his tank, this thing flips out like it is acid rain. Running all over the tank until he finally calms down enough to hide under stuff. He does this without fail, every time, like it had never happened before. I feel sorry for him because, for an anole, he seems puzzled and terrified. Yesterday, I was walking by the tank and Kirby was laying at the top of his cage, asleep. I knew it was time to water him and since he has no job, wife or kids, I don't feel too bad about waking him up from his nap. I squirt the water into the tank, and he doesn't move. Oh crap, here we go with the "You see kids, things die" speech that I was hoping I wouldn't have to give again until Mason turned 21 years old. Since the anole's only live a few years in captivity, probably not gonna be able to hold off that long, but I can dream. I kept squirting and he kept on being dead. Crap. I sneak over to Marcy to fill her in and tell her to get her speech ready. We decide to wait until the boys go to bed and then check everything out. An hour or so later, I walk by the tank and that little shit is sitting at the bottom of the tank, unlike his dead position at the top. His eyes are open and he is far less dead than when I saw him last. Not sure why the water didn't freak him out, so I squirted it in the cage to see if he was just use to it, and he flipped out. Maybe he is an actor and is trying out for the Geico commercial, I don't know, but I got to put my speech away until later. Maybe I should figure out how to deliver the speech without saying, "Life sucks kid, get used to it."

No comments: