Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A proud day in history.

I'm not a builder. I like to think I can build things and fix things, an have a pretty good record in doing those things, but I need guidance since I've never been formally taught. Like I said, I've had pretty good luck in my attempts, but there is one thing that I have attempted, on several occasions, and have failed miserably. The task I speak of, is installing doors. I've mounted two doors in my basement, and both work like crap. Oh they are functional, but they aren't flush and they sure aren't pretty. Both attempts ended with the phrase, "That's good enough, I give up." Spring ahead from those attempts, to yesterday, when I once again, prepared to tackle my nemesis, a door. I will say, that do to an incredibly stupid math error on my part, I bought the wrong sized doors and brought them home and got them in the basement, before I realized my mistake. A small fit and several curse words later, I'm on my way back to the store to get the correct sized doors. I nervously bought the doors, loaded them in the truck, brought them home and carried them into the basement. I stuck the first one in, and it fit, minus a few shims. I worked on getting it all square, shimmed it where I needed and it all seemed good. I drove a few nails in and all still seemed fine. I put the rest of my nails in, added the door knob and shut the door. Holy crap, it works. It doesn't drag, it lays flush in the frame, and it closes without having to do any lifting, tugging or kicking, unlike my other attempts. I can't believe it, I have successfully installed my first door that works.

There is no trim around the door, but it functions, and that was my goal. We have a friend staying with us for awhile, and I figured she might want to be able to close her door. I have one more door to install, and if all goes well, maybe I will attempt to fix the others. Who am I kidding, that sounds like frustration just waiting to happen, I'll pass.

I was going through my phone and found this picture I took awhile back.

It's hard to read, but that says "Pecker's Trucking." Struck me as funny.

No comments: