Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pick a subject dude!

I recently spent a little time in a Target store, and noticed a few behaviours that weren't new to me, but seeing as how I was really paying attention to the people around me, screamed "annoying" to me.

The first one is, the kid yelling "mommy" 100 times in a row, without mom, who is right next to him, acknowledging he is even there. This kid was on a roll, never even taking a breath, rapid fire mommy, that would have made any auctioneer proud. Perhaps his mother was deaf? I wanted to be, after a couple of minutes of this. Is it so hard to say "what?" I have first hand experience in this activity, since our kids can do it to Marcy at nearly the same rate as Target boy, and she doesn't hear a peep. The string of mommies is usually followed by my, "MARCY, ANSWER HIM!!!!!" It must just be a mom gene.

Next up, the family that feels that yelling to each other across 5 aisles is the proper way to communicate in public. I'm not sure what would lead a person to believe that the people of Target want to hear that grandma wears a size 7 shoe. Thank God they weren't in the personal hygiene section. I guess the reason people feel this is ok, is the same reason they feel it's absolutely fine to have a loud, often times graphic, cell phone conversation around people they don't know. Technology is great, but some people are too stupid to use it correctly.

Most of my time was ok, plus I got to eat at the first drive thru Chinese place I have ever seen around here. I'm sure they have them all over the place, but not in Des Moines, they are awesome.

While I was sitting in my truck, listening to an interview with Demetri Martin, he made a statement that made me think it might explain why I am so tired lately. He said "It is physically exhausting to make decisions." Well that would explain alot about how I have been feeling lately. I've changed a few things in my physical life, reduced the amount of Coke I drink, started doing the elliptical every other day, been riding my bike with the kids and increased my water intake, so I hope all these changes start to make a difference. As I sat there, a guy pulled up and sat in the parking lot, for some reason. I was way far away from any store, so he wasn't parking, but instead, stopped right in the aisle. Here is a shot of him sitting in front of me, blocking traffic. He sat there for 10 minutes and I have no idea why he didn't just pull into a spot.


I have to say that Makiah played goalie in soccer last week, and he was fantastic. I don't think I have ever seen him attack the ball like that before, jumping on it and stuffing kicks, it was amazing. He isn't the most aggressive player, so to see him go after it like that, made for a good day.

I had a great joke to play on my friends Michelle and Andy, but didn't pull the trigger on it. They got married two weeks ago, then headed out for their honeymoon. Michelle had asked Marcy and I to move her bed to their new house, so when they got home, they would have a place to sleep. We did, and as we were making the bed, I suggested to Marcy that we mess the bed up, then leave a note saying we "broke it in" for them. I thought it was hilarious and I think Marcy would have let me write the note, but alas, my memory at this age isn't what it use to be, and I forgot. Dang it.

No comments: