Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pepper soup, pepper pancakes and pepper pie.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that we planted a garden again this year, but we did. This years attempt includes zucchini, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, squash, cucumber, green peppers, yellow peppers, red peppers, jalapenos and sweet potatoes. We have had a pretty good year, with a few exceptions. The first garden we ever planted, we had so many cucumbers that I was hauling several a day to work to give to co-workers. The next 2 years, next to nothing. The first year we had a bunch of tomatoes, but none turned red, so basically a flop. The first couple of years we have had a few green peppers per plant, but not as many as we want, so this year we planted 4 green pepper plants, a yellow and a red. The green pepper plants, at today's viewing, have approximately 10,000 peppers growing. That might be a bit overstated, but there are a ton. I might just be hauling these in to work, if they grow big enough and we can't keep up with eating them. We are going to have to get creative in our recipes and include peppers in everything. Do you think the boys will eat peppers in their cereal? The yellow pepper plant has 2 yellow peppers and a bunch that are still green and growing. The red pepper plant waited the whole summer to give off its first pepper, so it better be good. The cucumbers are a huge disappointment. We have 4 plants and have gotten a total of 2 good cucumbers and one shitty one. I'm not sure what the deal is, except for that the sweet potato plants are right by them, so maybe that has something to do with it. We learn new things every year and try to incorporate that into next years garden. For instance, the zucchini plant grew so big, it smothered the life out of 2 squash plants, killing them. We got bugs that ate the few squash fruit from another plant, before I even noticed they were there. The jalapeno plant is plugging right along, producing just enough for me to eat and they aren't too hot. In fact, could be a bit hotter for my taste, but no complaints. I almost forgot, Max brought home a pumpkin plant that we planted in the garden with little hope of it doing anything. It has grown and wrapped itself all around the garden and now has 2 little pumpkins that are starting to grow. The problem is, the plant has attached itself to the top of my rabbit fence and when they start to get bigger, they are going to either fall off due to the weight, or they are going to rip my fence down. I've considered cutting the little grabber vines that caused the vine to be at the top of my fence, and then lay the vine on the ground. I need to figure out if that will hurt the plant if I cut all those little vines. They grow fast and hold tight, so it would take a bit of work. This vine grew about a foot a day for over a week and the grabber vines grew faster than that. I'm sure if you sat there and watched them at peak growing, you could see them move with the naked eye. My scheduled didn't permit me to sit and stare at my garden for a day, so I missed it. Should have gotten NatGeo to film it. All that being said, it's been a pretty good year so far. I'm anxious to see if the sweet potatoes come out and whether we get to avoid buying Halloween pumpkins, because we grew our own. A pumpkin with a fence growing through the middle of it will be hard to carve. Here is a shot of todays tomato harvest.

No comments: