Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, June 16, 2008

I love LA (Randy Neuman)

My travels to LA were fairly uneventful. My flight out of Des Moines was delayed, so I had to run in Dallas to my next flight. I was one of the last people on board, but then we had to wait for 45 minutes for a mechanic to do something. It wasn’t that it took him 45 minutes to fix what ever was broken; it took him that long to get there and 1 minute to fix it. I was able to get to my rental car, they told me my car was in M16, but when I got to the exit gate, they said I had the wrong car. I see the customer service in LA is the same as in Iowa. How can you not park the right car in the right spot? Seems like that would be day 1 of your on the job training. The drive to my hotel was a little over an hour, but the GPS I bought awhile back worked perfectly. If you don’t have one of these, and you travel at all, get one. I paid a little over $100 and it was worth every penny. I’ll be using it on our trip to NC in a week or so; hopefully it works just as well. I got to my room around 8pm CA time and ordered some supper. Since I did my OJ Simpson impression in Dallas, I didn’t get to eat and the sandwich they were selling on the plane, although tempting, got the pass. I never saw a place to exit the highway to get something to eat. I was afraid that any exit would be followed by the inability to re-enter the highway and I wasn’t going to put my faith in the GPS, since I wasn’t sure how it was working. I didn’t know that until it actually got me to the hotel. I had a room service BBQ pizza that was either really good, or I was so hungry that it wouldn’t have mattered. I decided to go to sleep at 10pm, 12pm Iowa time, but unfortunately got up at 4:30 CA time, which was actually sleeping in at home, 6:30am. I have a pretty good view of a marina off my balcony, but it was so foggy this morning, you couldn’t really see much. I have a great view of the pool, but that is of little use to me. Unless it heats up some, I won’t be in the pool anytime soon. My boys would be all over it, even though the temps are in the 70’s, but that is still a little cold for me. I spent most of the day running around in 2 huge buildings looking for inventory that doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to why its in its current location. You would think that you would keep all of the like material together, but this theory has bypassed the people in my CA warehouse. They have the same material spread out between 2 buildings and 5 different locations. It makes counting so much more difficult. Tomorrow, I get to bang on the sides of railcars to see if they are full or empty, jealous? I’m here with an Inventory guy from CT, same guy I was in Houston with. We went to an oceanfront restaurant for dinner and I had a very good piece of Mahi-Mahi. Now I’m working on trying to figure out what I just spent 8 hours counting. Here is a pretty crappy picture off my balcony.

That is the ocean, way at the top, and just short of that is the marina, but you can't tell from my phone picture.

No comments: