Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New things learned

I learned some new things today:

1. My son may be able to read the word bitch, so I shouldn't use it on my blog. (SHIT, I did it again) (Dammit, that was worse)
2. The temperature can go from 76 degrees on the beach to 101 degrees at the warehouse that I got to spend 2 hours outside banging on the sides of railcars. The warehouse is in Chino, which is an hour north east of Dana Point. It was a little sweaty today.
3. I know there are 114 steps from the street by the harbor to the hotel grounds, straight up. I was a bit winded when I got to the top.
4. I now know the guy I'm here with is very hairy. I saw him at the pool and thought it was a bear. Turns out it was John, so I called the front desk and called off animal control.

Here are a few shots I took, not very good though.
Then I saw this little guy.

My phone doesn't take very good pictures, but since I was all ready hauling a computer, Ipod and GPS, I didn't want to have another thing to carry in my backpack. I realized that I usually end up giving you a menu of what I eat, and that probably doesn't excite you. Then I remembered that since my memory is fading, this will help me recall things that might get squeezed out of my brain with that pesky work stuff. Last night, I had my first Chilean Sea bass, which I had always heard good things about, but never wanted to spend the money. I was told by John last night, that I WAS getting the Sea bass, and who am I to argue. WOW, that was good stuff. That was the most tender fish I have ever eaten, really glad he twisted my arm. The Mahi-Mahi was good the night before, but this might have topped it. We ate at a local pizza place at the harbor for lunch and I had a pizza that had chicken, carrots, bean sprouts, peanuts and cilantro. They could have left all of that off except the cilantro and I would have been happy, but it was really good. It reminds me of a Thai chicken pizza I've had somewhere in DSM. When I asked John what he was getting, he said "a regular pizza." I had no idea what that was, so a little later I tried again, but he just said regular again. When he told it to the waiter, he didn't act like he thought John was crazy, he just said "cheese." You notice there was no question mark at the end of that, so I guess that meant he knew what John was talking about. Hey Joe, is that how New Yorkers order a cheese pizza? I've never heard of that before, but maybe it's a NY thing. Tonight is my last night in CA, it will be a long day tomorrow getting home. I have a shuttle picking me up at 6:30am, I hope I don't over sleep.

No comments: