Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's raining, it's pouring!

So the rain in Iowa is still coming down. There are many streets that are under water and unfortunately, many houses. Basements are being flooded with both rain water and sewage, backed up through the pipes we rely on to take that away. I heard my sump pump working for the first time since I bought this house, 8 years ago. I was working in the basement, carpet gets delivered and installed on Friday, and was on my stomach under my stairs trying to add wood to close the gaps for carpet. I decided to open the cover of the sump pump, just to be sure it works, seeing as how so many people were having trouble. I was happy to see that when I pulled up the float, the pump came on and emptied the pit of water. There wasn't any water running in, so all was good. That was Saturday, now move to Sunday and I'm back under the stairs to finish the work and I hear water pouring into this same pit. The pump kept it out, but since this is the first time since I've lived here that it has had to work, gives you pause to realize how high the water table actually is. I'm excited to see my basement with the new carpet, and hopefully it doesn't become a sponge. There is another issue that arises with the extra water, although I'm under no illusion that it is anywhere near the problem of having poop in your basement, but the grass is growing incredibly fast. I mowed on Saturday and last night, I figured I'd better mow before the rain that is coming now and threw the end of the week. From my Saturday mow until my Tuesday mow, the grass had grown an inch. I leave for California on Sunday, so I'm sure the grass will be over the house before I get a chance to mow it again. On the California note, here is a link to my dumpy hotel I'm staying at.

http://www.lagunacliffs.com/

Don't be a hater, just be happy for me. I wish Marcy was going with me, it looks like it could be a very romantic place, and the guy I'm going with just isn't as cute as Marcy. I'm not sure why they insist on us staying at hotels that are typically used for weddings and honeymoons, but I guess I can suffer through. I leave Sunday, fly into LAX, rent a car to get me to my hotel where I drop it off. Then, on Thursday, I rent another car at the hotel and drive it back to LAX. It's sad that it's cheaper to rent 2 cars than it is to pay 2 taxi's. I'm not looking forward to driving in LA, but what are you going to do? I can't spend an extra $100 on cabs, I have to save that for my $239 a night room.

No comments: