Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Have you seen my shoe?

I know you've seen it, we all have. Your driving down the road, look out the window, and there it is, in all of it's solitude. A shoe. It's usually a tennis shoe, but I've seen a boot or a loafer here and there. Sometimes you even see it's mate a little further down the road. I've always wondered, how do they get there? It's hard to believe that the shoes were on somebody when they ended up there, although a good boyfriend/girlfriend fight with a drive off and one holding on to the car is a possibility, but I'm guessing it is far less interesting. I saw a guy pull away from his apartment building with his shoes on the roof, I'm guessing he put them up there to put stuff in the car and forgot them. If they made it to the gym still clinging to the roof, I'm sure he had a good laugh. My guess is he spent the rest of the day wondering who the hell broke into his car, while he was in it, and took his shoes. That is what I would be thinking, knowing there was no way I lost them. The other day I was filling my car with gas and saw this:

I'm not sure what happened here that the shoe was left sitting by the gas pump. Was the person so drunk they walked out of their shoe, without realizing it? Did they knock it out when they got out to pump? I can't think of one scenario that makes sense, other than one brother tossing his pesky brothers shoe out the window when he wasn't looking, just for payback for something he did. I left it there, just in case the guy came back looking for it, but you got to wonder what the hell is happening out there. By the way, if you are in need of a size seven tennis shoe, check out the parking lot of the Kum and Go by my house. for those of you not from Iowa, yes I'm aware that the name of that convenience store is disturbing, no need to point it out.

No comments: