Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Quote of the year

I mentioned that this past summer I was lucky enough to volunteer for Habitat For Humanity, which my church had partnered with to frame up some houses. I don't know if I mentioned, that I was asked to do an "interview" with someone to be used in a newsletter or promotional material. The newsletter is out and here is my big quote:

The work done at Lutheran Church of Hope was the first time Mark Shrum, who works in inventory control for a plastics distributor, had volunteered his talents to Habitat. “I’ll do it again,” he says. “It was very enjoyable. “I think it went over really well at the church. The leaders felt it went well, and it’s my impression we will do more in the future.”

Now, I don't remember the interview, but the word "enjoyable" isn't a word I use very often. Am I claiming I was mis-quoted? Well, no, its harmless either way, and maybe I said it, but I've run into things like this before. The things you say during the interview that seem the least important or are really dumb, is exactly what is printed/spoke and it is so out of context, that it sounds stupid or you sound like an ass. This quote was just kind of lame, but in the writers defense, I don't remember saying anything that was memorable. Chad and I discussed what we could/should say when we were interviewed and lets just say 99% of it wouldn't have been helpful, to anyone, but it kept us entertained for awhile. The last time I had this experience, I was being interviewed by a minister who was doing the eulogy for my step father. We spoke for quite some time about growing up with Bill as my father and how things were. I made a comment about how we didn't always get along, and of course, that was my quote spoken to the church. Nice. Oh well, another lame quote for my scrapbook, this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lady with the Meals on Wheels program rode with me on my route a few weeks ago. We talked along the way and she asked if she could quote me. I said "sure" thinking I had not said anything interesting or note worthy but - what the heck. Well when the picture came out there was a little paragraph under it and apparently I did not say anything interesting. She needs to learn how to "spin" things better.
Vickie