Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Friday

We started our trip Friday morning, set out at about 8:30 in the Prius. I figured out that I like this car. If you haven't seen one, its the gas/electric hybrid, they are pretty cool. We got gas mileage in the 40's, so we didn't spend much money for our 1300 mile trip. We stopped off for lunch at King Kong burger in Lincoln, NE. I'm sure form the name of the place, you can tell that these aren't White Castle sized burgers. I got the smallest burger they had and I wasn't hungry for 8 hours, which is a first for me. We gorged ourselves and then headed on to Denver. We stayed at the sister and law of John, the guy I'm traveling with. They live in Longmont which is 15 minutes or so, north of Denver. They have a beautiful house that they have been working on the landscaping for several years. I wish I could do something like they have, but who are we kidding, I'd kill everything, or the neighbors cats would turn it into an expensive catbox. D.R., the husband of the pair, is big into wine and I made the mistake of saying that I had never had a wine that I liked. He pulled out a bottle and started the sales pitch. I'm usually pretty game to try most anything, so I agreed to give it a shot. Now the sales pitch was, it was "fruity" with and hint of wood, whatever that means. To me, it tasted like wine. We'll he was determined to set me straight on my indifference, so he broke out another bottle, then another. I can't say that my opinion of wine has changed, but after two beers and then the three galsses of wine, I can honestly say I don't remember all of that last glass. Then we had a drink called a godfather, which was pretty good, but very strong. I topped it off with my first Cuban cigar, which was really good, but I'm so out of practice, that I had a hard time keeping it lit. We stayed up until about 12:30, which was 1:30 at home, so I crashed for the night. Here are a few pictures of the mountains from their patio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What trip ? I never know what is going on ! Are you going back to Mexico ???? Steve

Markymark said...

Sorry Steve, I'm actually in New Mexico this time. This is a whole different trip. I'm on a Navajo Indian reservation and we are going to be doing some work on some churches and houses in the area. Stay tuned to the blog, I'll let you know what I'm doing while I'm here.

Mark