Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thursday

Today was a pretty uneventful day. We worked on the tub surround in the parsonage and I painted a little. I guess I had a little excitement with the painting. We were painting the peak of the church, and I had to climb about 2 stories up and lean over to paint. I don't like heights, so I was a little shaky. After I did one section, the other Mark on the trip volunteered to do the next section, my hero. We had borrowed the ladder from a local lumber yard called Gallup lumber, so we took it back and I had a chance to talk to the owner, Michael, for awhile. He had let us borrow this huge ladder for free and does a lot of things to help out with the mission. He is a really cool guy and later came to where we were having dinner and we gave him a plaque expressing our thanks. He said he would put it up in the front of the store, where I noticed he had several plaques from other organizations. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures from today, but I didn't think anyone would want to see pictures of me working in a bathroom and I don't have any of me on the ladder from hell. There are several things that I'm going to miss when this trip is over. The first is being referred to as a young guy. I am one of the younger people, but I think I'm older than most people think. I think my bald head and protruding stomach must scream out late 20's to early 30's. If they only knew. Another thing I will miss is the daily connection with the people I'm working with. A lot of them have shared their stories and they are amazing. To hear people's triumphs and struggles and how they have gotten through it with their faith is inspiring. I didn't share my story this year because I didn't think I had a story, but after a evening with several of the ladies on the trip, who asked for my story, I'm told I do. I owe the base of my faith to mom and Miller, since they were the ones who drug me to church as a kid. Then, when I fell away, I would say that a lot of it was do to being drug to church for all those years and for me being arrogant and thinking I could disprove the existence of God, which I did in my mind. The thing I've realized is that I was using today's world to cancel out everything I had learned as a kid. I'm from Missouri, show me. I didn't think I could be shown, so I didn't open my eyes, mind or especially my heart. I met Marcy and I wanted to impress her, so I said I would go to church with her, even though I had no intention of ever believing again. I thought I could fool everyone, I had with so many other things in my life. Well little did I know that this was all in God's plan, that this was step one in a process to bring me back into the fold. I went to church, I listened and thought, are these people serious? I had never been to a church with live music, so I right away thought, cult? I've been to a lot of church's in my day, thanks to Miller's job and friends, and I had never seen anything like this. I can't just take the word of these people, so I started to look into religion and this God thing on my own. I read a book called A Case For Christ, written by a man who was a non-believer. He talked to scientists, religious leaders, historians and all kinds of both believers and non-believers. The case was overwhelming that Christ did exist. It's written, in non religious books, just regular books, that there was a man who was called Jesus Christ and that he performed miracles. I can't tell you everything in the book, but it is a good read, especially if you don't think God is real. I know where your coming from, I was there, but look into it before you discount it. In one of the devotions given tonight, there was a quote that I don't know exactly, but it said that you are put in a place, not to move someone from 1 to 10 in their faith, but maybe from 5 to 6. I wanted to thank Marcy from moving me from a -100, to a positive number. I'm not sure where I am on the scale, but I'm climbing. For those of you who read this blog, just to see what I've done, you just got a short faith story from me. With all of the stories I've heard this week, I wanted to get that off my chest, now back to the cursing and crappy pictures:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand it anymore, what is a "tub surround"?

Anonymous said...

A tub surround is the plastic walls that go just above the tub, then up the wall to keep water off of the drywall behind it. Most of the tubs that are put into homes, at least the ones here in Iowa, are either one piece tubs or have a factory built match. What we were working with was an old tub, not shower/tub combo, that they had added a shower head to and the old tub surround was allowing water to get behind it, so the walls were rotten. We pulled off the old surround and ripped out the rotten walls and replaced them. The new surround was a thin sheet of plastic that we put on all 3 walls and then we caulked the hell out of it to keep the water out. Check out this link: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/InstallTubSurround.html, that is kind of what we did, only smaller and not as nice of a bathroom.