Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Is it Tuesday?

Man, my days are all mixed up. Today started with a 6:30am hike with John up a hill, in the dark. There was just enough light to make you feel you wouldn't step in a well, but an ankle twister wasn't out of the question. I'm happy to report that there were no accidents, but I thought we might have to fight off a dog/wolf at one point. We saw him running down a path between us and the interstate, so the lights from there were just enough to see him, but not enough to tell if he might come after us. At the last second before I screamed like a girl, we saw its owner, so he was changed from the dog/wolf category to just the dog category. It was kind of pretty up there, but the area reminds me a lot of El Paso, brown and dusty. The mountains are pretty cool, but after that, kind of plain. It's great to be able to visit places like this, but it makes me appreciate the beauty of Iowa, yes Iowa. The work day consisted of Chris and I climbing back on the roof of the church to finish the shingle job. Here is a picture of Chris tying our safety line to the steeple. Chris says this is us putting our lives in God's hands. The picture doesn't do the slope justice, it is really steep. You can't set your tools down, because they will be on someones head below, so you have to keep them in your belt, tied to the rope or go back and forth to the flatter roof of another section of the church. Mitzi, Chris's wife, took a picture of us both holding our ropes, so when I get that I'll post that as well. You can see the dark spots on the roof and that was what we were replacing. The wind was blowing again today, but nothing like yesterday. There was a section on the back side of the roof that was pretty big that we had to replace, but all worked out well and we were able to move onto the parsonage and the garage. The slope there was much flatter on those, so our ankles were saved. I told you about our improvised ladder, so here it is. I think it was a roof rack from a van, but I could be wrong. We got back, had supper and then our devotions. The devotions are one of my most favorite things we do. You really get to know people, here about their faith and draw you closer to both them and God. We have had 5 different people tell their stories, 4 of them had me in tears and one was just plain powerful. These are good people that I can learn a lot from. The 2 that spoke today talked about the deaths of people that were close to them and how it affected them. It brought back a lot of memories of mom and dad and the last days we spent with them. Not going to write about that now, but someday I might. John, Mitzi and I went out for a little shopping after that and had some good conversations about our experiences. Mitzi and I are working together at Tolaki, but John is at Church Rock, so it's good to hear how it's going over there. That's my day, but I saw something yesterday that I forgot to mention. You see a lot of people hitchhiking around here, sticking their thumb out, as you would expect, but Chris and I saw a guy yesterday that was using a tactic I have never seen before. Instead of sticking out his thumb, he was sticking out money. Maybe this is common, but I have never seen it. We didn't pick him up and another mile down the road there was another guy with just his thumb. I wanted to tell him he better stick out some cash or get on the other side of the guy with the cash, because if I pass on the cash guy, thumb guy is screwed. Tomorrow is our half day, but I'm not sure what we are going to do. I'll let you know tomorrow. Goodnight.

No comments: