Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I wanted to complain about the customer service in this town. I rarely get what I think is good customer service, and I'm not a picky person. You family members know of some of Millers' ways to deal with bad customer service, or perceived bad service. I can remember him putting a coffee pot on his head because it was empty and he wanted a refill. At that same restaurant on a separate occasion he wanted ketchup, so he went looking for it in the kitchen when the waitress didn't return in time. I understand that being a waitress can be difficult, especially when you have a customer like Miller, but I'm seeing more and more people that just can't cut it. I went to lunch with some friends last week and we had a waitress that had troubles with the drink refills. She thought she remembered what two people had been drinking, so she took the cups and topped off the 1/2 glass of Coke with a 1/2 glass of raspberry tea. She then did the opposite to the other glass. It's not a huge issue, we brought it too her attention and she went to fix it. When she came back, the raspberry tea was correct, but the Coke was the same, a very obvious raspberry flavor to the "Coke."Then there was my experience with a lady at Barnes and Noble bookstore. I called to see if they had a book I wanted and here is the conversation I had with her.
Her: "Hello, Barnes and Noble."
Me: "I wanted to check to see if you had a book in stock."
Her: "OK."
Now, I was expecting a "OK, Go ahead" or "OK, what is the title you are looking for?"but after the "OK" there was only silence. She apparently got tired of the silence and followed up with:
Her: "OK."

I took the first OK as an acknowledgement that she could help me, which I now know was only half the power of her OK. OK to her meant, OK, I can help you, it would be my pleasure and what is the title of the book you are looking for, which would have been way to wordy. I've been in customer service and you should always make the customer believe you care, even when you most certainly do not. I gave her the title and she looked it up and told me they had it, so my conversation with her, all be it most enjoyable, was over. So I drove to said B&N for the book and who should be working at the counter, but miss customer service herself. How do I know it was her, well by her unmistakable warm welcome of course. She was just as friendly at the checkout as she had been on the phone. If you have the personality of a serial killer, don't take a job in which you deal with people, that's all I'm saying.

No comments: