Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Let me tell you what a dumbass I am. I know, you all ready know this, but here is proof, just in case you doubted it.



We have had trouble in our house with drains smelling. I searched on the Internet and the consensus was, it has hair or other crap, stuck in the drain and, for lack of a better word, rotting. If you have seen me lately, you know that if it's hair, it ain't me. Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem, the suggested remedy is bleach and hot water. It has worked in our shower drain and once in the laundry room washing machine drain. Well, the smell was back in the laundry room this weekend, in fact, it about made me gag, so I set out to clean the drain on Sunday. The spot you have to pour the bleach and water is set back into the wall and very hard to get to, so I use a funnel, that is actually to short and small to use without getting water every where. I looked at 2 home improvement places this weekend with no luck of finding a larger funnel. I got it all done and started the washing machine to see if the smell was gone. Tip for you, when you remove a drain tube, you need to replace it before you start using the equipment. I skipped this important step, so I returned in time to see a tidal wave wash across the laundry room, kitchen and eating area. My first reaction was to cuss, which I now know only allowed the water to get that much further across the lower level of my house. I ran to the laundry room to find the source when a light bulb went off and I replaced the drain hose back into the hole in which it belonged. I was a little late seeing as how there was no longer water spewing out of the hose since that cycle was done. I turned around in time to see water start to pour into the air vents conveniently located on the floor. Luckily, we had a stack of old towels, so I tossed one on the vent in the laundry room and ran to the other vents to plug those up as well. I was at a loss as to what to do now. I don't own a wet/dry vac, so towels were my only option. I figured it was too late to put a for sale sign in the front yard a call it a day. I could say it had an indoor pool, all be it not very deep, it was still deeper than anyone else's in the neighborhood. I threw towels around and ran upstairs to grab a bunch more. I threw those around and started to sop up the water, wring out the towels and re-sop. My arms were exhausted and I kept finding water in places I didn't know it got to. After I had the pond contained, I decided that I needed to check on the basement to see if I had a pool on two floors. I'm guessing there aren't too many houses with two indoor pools, maybe I should have sold it. I have been working in my basement to finish it, so luckily I had removed just about everything that was down there. There was quite a bit of water, but since there is a drain, the major pools were gone. After about an hour, I had it cleaned up, other than a small seepage from under the dishwasher that I'm sure will cost me a mint to fix at some point when I think it's all clear. That was my excitement, jealous?



Update on the basement. There are now lights and cable. I will be pulling the wires for the outlets this week before I head to Houston on Sunday. Our hopes are to go to the Houston Rockets vs Los Angeles Lakers basketball game while we're there, so we will see. I'd also like to play a little disc golf, but that might be a stretch. Take a look at the hole on the front page of this website. http://www.hfds.org/index.html I want to play this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I don't know if I told you but we recently bought a new washing machine (well, maybe it has been several months, but I am getting old and lose track of time), anyway, when the guy came to deliver it, he was nice and we were talking and he forgot to put the hose in the pipe and started the machine up and we had water everywhere as well. I can imagine how much water you had if the whole cycle ran, we stopped this spueage quickly and it was a lot of water! Love you, Lisa

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask, did you get rid of the smell in your drains? Lisa

Markymark said...

Yes, the smell is gone. The next time it comes back, I will be sure to put the hose back. Of course, I'll probably burn my hands with the hot water and dump the bleach on them, just for good measure.