Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, November 15, 2007

More from Houston

We had a great night out with John and Andrea. They are really nice and both have a good sense of humor. We ate at a steak house that you pick out your own meat and they cook it for you. I had my favorite steak, a New York Strip, and it was awesome. John drove us there and the car was equipped with a GPS system that was a tad bit lacking. It kept getting lost, tried to get us to down a one way street the wrong way, made us pull over on the interstate so it could reconfigure and had us do several U-turns. We all determined that we could have done all of this on our own, without a GPS system. If you ever rent Avis, think twice before you get the GPS. John and I headed out to Seapac in hopes of getting there around 9am, giving us a chance to miss the traffic and them a chance to get ready for us. We were told it was a 45 minute drive, which it is if you don’t do several U-turns. We didn’t even have a GPS system and we still got lost. It took us an hour or so, but when we went to lunch, we learned a back way out that saved us time on the way home. We finally got to the warehouse and set up in the conference room in a building that the air conditioning was broken. The last time a count was done here, I was told it was a mess. I’m happy to say that it went very well this time. We did our counts and were finished about 2pm and headed back to the hotel to put the info into the computer and finished up at 11pm. It looked pretty scary, but once we got back to Seapac on Wed., it all worked out pretty well. I have included some pictures of one of the 4 warehouses they have, and I will tell you that all 4 of them are huge. We used a golf cart to get around on Wed. and got lost in one of the warehouses. I know it seems like that would be impossible, but I assure you we hadn’t been drinking. This place is just that big. You can see all of the bags in this picture and there are thousands of them. Here are some pictures of some machines that they use to pack plastic out of railcars into cartons and bags. They are pretty dark, since it was almost 5pm when we took them and the sunlight was low. It was really cool to see how these works. All in all, this was a great trip. We will now have a good inventory record and we got to meet the people we deal with on the phone and via email.A couple of things about Houston. I had never been here before, but this place is crazy. It reminds me as to why I don’t live in a big city anymore. Most of the roads we drove on are 6 to 8 lanes wide and busy. The cars are doing about 65 to 70 mph and a bunch are weaving in and out of traffic. There are roads everywhere. The roads split, then split again, then again. If you don’t watch the signs close, your ass is in Mexico before you know it. There was one thing that pissed me off. We were on our way back from Seapac when we saw rain coming down up ahead. As soon as we got to the rain, the car in front of me slammed on their brakes. Now I’m going 65 mph and this guys stomps his brake with all he has. Was there a car in front of him you might ask, or perhaps a lost baby that had wandered out onto the highway. No, it was moist concrete that has frightened this brave Texan. I couldn’t believe it, then he proceeded to go 40 mph while still pushing his brake. I couldn’t get around him because all of the other lanes were doing 60 mph and it’s really hard to get from 35 mph to 65 mph before you get a Dodge up your ass. I did want to show you what my maid did to my toiletries on the counter of my room. I promise you I didn’t leave them like this, but this is how they are every night when I get back. I thought I was anal, this is crazy. I think I love her. Or him, I’ve never seen them so I’m not sure who I love on this one. They do keep putting the damn room service menu on my bed that I move everytime I get back. I think I will throw it away and see if they get the hint or just replace it. I think John is stealing all of the soap, shampoo and coffee in his room, so they might not miss a room service menu.

No comments: