Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Almost home

I'm spending my last night at a hotel outside of LAX, ready to head home in the morning. It has been a good trip, got all my warehouses counted, spent a few days walking rail yards and a little time with Marcy. I think she is going to want to do this more often, whenever we can. I guess having a few days to do what you want, when you want, without having to make 3 PB&J's and answer questions from your husband, was a welcome break. She is anxious to get home to the boys, so the length of the stay was probably just right. I loved having her with me. The nights when I travel are usually boring, since I don't really want to go out and "party." The hotel in Dana Point was great, really helpful and treat you they way you want to be treated. Marcy even received a call from the bellboy, asking if her stay was going well. I had to ask her about that, seemed a little friendly to me:)

The news while we were out here was filled with people from my childhood, dieing. Ed McMahon was the best straight man ever. I woke up at 4 am, 6 am at home, and heard the news. One of the clips they were showing was the funniest thing I ever saw between them. Johnny Carson was looking at a cat of some kind in a cage, it turned and swiped at him and growled. Johnny turned and ran and jumped into Ed's arms. The look on Johnny's face was perfect and Ed played right along. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. Then Farrah. Oh how I loved her as a child. I was a Jacklyn Smith fan, but I had Farrah on my wall and on my mind for a few years. Then today, Michael Jackson. I'm torn on him. I loved his music, still do, but everything that he was accused of was a bit of a downer for me. I know he was found innocent, but so was OJ Simpson and I'm not in agreement with that decision either. The evidence I heard against MJ was pretty compelling, but I certainly didn't hear it all. Regardless, I remember running home to see the Thriller video, day after day. Sounds gay, but it was awesome, still is. Whenever I think of him singing, I also see Weird Al Yancovic as well. His songs were hilarious. The main networks here in LA are all on the MJ story, and nothing else. I hope that changes before prime time, there are just so many interviews with people on the street that I can watch. I swear they find the dumbest people, ask them the simplest question, and wait to hear the dumbest answer. I'm baffled by the crowds at the hospital. Why go and stand on the sidewalk with a bunch of people? Maybe it's like group therapy, not sure, but there are pockets of people all over the city. They gathered on 2 spots at the hospital, on his star on the walk of fame and in front of his house. I'm guessing there is a group at the old ranch he owned and in Gary, IN, where he is from. I think I'll drown my sorrows in my hotel room, with a steak.

No comments: