Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Friday, June 19, 2009

Get off the phone!

Drivers seem to piss me off more and more. I live on the west side of town and drive to the east side for work, so I'm in the car for 15 to 20 minutes each way. The number of people who don't use their turn signal is astronomical, which isn't the big problem, its the guy who decides that even though he is going 20 mph slower than me, will switch into my lane, without using his signal, approximately 3 feet in front of me, causing me to stomp my brakes. If slow poke wants to do 55 mph in a 65 mph zone, that is his business but keep your slow ass out of the far left lane, or the fast lane as I like to call it. I've had the argument with people in the past who tell me it isn't the "fast" lane, that's a given, but I was taught in drivers education, oh so many years ago, that it is the passing lane. If you are pedalling your Geo Metro at a top speed of 7 mph, move your ass to the right, you ain't passing anyone. If you want to argue about not speeding, I hear you, I shouldn't, but you clogging up the artery doesn't slow people down, for long, it just causes more lane changes which are far more dangerous than me going a bit over the posted speed limit, but staying in the same lane.
I'm also amazed at the number of people that feel the need to apply the brake before they switch lanes. Most times, that isn't necessary, put on your signal, look in your mirror, make the move. I don't see where it is advantageous for any of us, for you to stomp brakes, look in your mirror, hit the gas for another 20 feet, then stomp the brakes again because the time freezing portal didn't open up to allow you to get into the next lane. Freaking plan ahead, put down your phone and read the signs that are posted for just that reason, so you can figure out how to get to where you are going. I drive past an interchange where you have to veer right to go west and go straight to go south. I'm amazed at how many people figure out with 2 feet to spare, that they need to be 4 lanes over RIGHT NOW, and they go for it. Despite the fact that there were signs, warning them of the split 2 miles back, again 1 1/2 miles back, a mile back and the road signs are painted on the freaking road. Yet everyday, and I mean everyday, somebody whips across, usually driving on the shoulder because they missed the turn. I've seen people back up on the interstate to get back to the exit they missed. People, people, people, go the extra mile to the next exit and make a youey, don't die, or kill someone, because you wanted to get home before the Simpsons started. I was driving somewhere with my brother Brian and his family and we passed a guy who was backing down the highway to get to his missed exit, only he was on the road not on the shoulder. Luckily Brian saw them and swerved over and missed him. Of course he had to run a small bus from an orphanage off the road, but I'm still here, so it's all good since it is all about me. I will admit that I backed down a toll road in KY and 1am once. We passed a car in the middle of know where that was pulled over on the shoulder with no flashers and a lady standing outside. Since she didn't have any flashers, I was right on top of her before I saw her, but I managed to pull over, get stopped and then discussed with Brian, do we walk back and see if she needs help or do I back up to her? Well the road was empty, so I figured I'd back up. Wouldn't you know that was when a party let out or something and a bunch of cars showed up and damn near rear ended me as I backed slightly into the road. OK, it was a dumbass move, but it was dark and I wasn't going to walk down this road, at night, without a gun. I saw Deliverance. I know what happens in the back woods to outsiders, and I have a purty mouth.
People who like to race off the line at the stop light so they can merge over in front of me, then slow down to below speed limit. I swear I'm getting one of those cop bumpers so I can push them either faster or off the road and out of my way.
So now lets talk about the dumbasses going 10 to 15 mph UNDER the speed limit. I'd rather have someone blow my doors off as they go by than get stuck behind a pair of knuckles on the steering wheel going 20 mph in a 35 mph zone. George Carlin had a joke once that went, "Did you ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is an f-ing maniac. Well put my friend, well put.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little frustration with driving honey!!!