Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, June 28, 2009

My weekend.

My weekend was good, I hope yours was as well. We traveled home Friday from LA, and the airline left my bag in Dallas, presumably because they thought my dirty socks needed an extended vacation. It came in on the next flight and they delivered it, no problem. My trips to LA have given me 2 experiences I've never had before, last year I missed my flight to Des Moines from St. Louis, do to the storms in Dallas that delayed my plane from LA. Man, funny how things that seem totally unrelated, are indeed related. Lets hope I have neither of those problems this week, or the days I travel home from South Africa.

Friday I went to an MMA fight, and heard something I never guessed I would ever hear. We were sitting at our table, VIP with a great view I might add (thanks Chad for hooking us up), when two ladies approached us selling raffle tickets to win a tattoo. The one lady was a bit older, maybe mid to late 40's, the other was early 20's and nearly naked. The tried the sales pitch they had picked out for us, but there were no takers. Then, the older lady asked if we'd buy one if she showed us a naked picture of her daughter? I happy to say that we all said no at the table, before we even knew who her daughter was. I think we all thought that her daughter might be the girl standing next to her, but we could pretty much see everything anyway, so why pay. The older lady lifted up the sleeve of her shirt, revealing a tattoo of a naked girl on her are. She informed us that it was her daughter, who was 21 and HOT! Interesting way to describe your own daughter, but to each their own. The fights were fun and the guys I go with make it an enjoyable night out. Looking forward to the next one.

Saturday started out with tubing down the Des Moines river. It was a 7 or 8 mile float. There were 14 of us, all tied together, and it was a blast. I've never been tubing down a river, but would definitely do it again. When we pulled up to the launch point, Mason was making some whimpering sounds, like a puppy looking for its mom, so I asked him what was up. He said the river looked a bit scary, and to be honest with you, I wasn't sure how this was going to go over with the boys. The water was dirty and appeared to be moving at a pretty good clip, plus, the river is fairly wide. I assured him that he would be fine, he had a life jacket on, in an inertube and we would be right there. He calmed down and we hit the water. It took all of about 30 seconds for him to be comfortable enough to jump out of the tube and swim around to visit other tubers, while floating down a river. I swear that kid has no fear when it comes to water. Max spent the whole trip on either my lap or Marcy's. Makiah did great at the beginning, struggled with fear in the middle, then was OK again. He couldn't tell us what the freakout in the middle was about, makes it hard to try and help him through when he can't even tell you what it is. It took a couple of hours and the staff at Seven Oaks was great, very helpful. I'd recommend a trip, if you so have the desire. I mentioned the river was dirty, well, it is a river. I wore a shirt to avoid sunburn and not subject anyone to my whit flabby body and at the end, my shirt appeared to have filtered the river water, making it cleaner for everyone else. I'm determined to loose some of my flabbiness when I get back. After the float, we headed home to have a birthday party for Michelle. I was grill master, which always makes me a little nervous. I don't want to burn everything, or worse, dry it out. According to my numbers, I only turned 2 burgers into blackened, Cajun style, I think everything else was good. The party was a lot of fun, even though I didn't know very many people. I'm not always big on meeting new people, I'm not a chatterbox unless I know you, but the people were really nice, so I did get to know a few. The kids swam in the pool, the money we spent on that has been well worth it.

I hope your weekend was just as much fun. If not, work on that.

No comments: