Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Craigslist

I'll admit it, I'm slow to try new technology. I didn't get a cell phone until absolutely everyone I knew, had one. I was late to digital cameras, digital camcorders and all kinds of computer stuff. I just bought my first HD TV, which I don't think I'm as late on as I was with everything else, but most of my friends all ready have one. I got my first DVR this year, and believe me, my friends teased me about not being able to watch the TV shows we liked because I wasn't home and I didn't have a functioning VCR. Along those lines, I'm not big into Craigslist. OK, it's not exactly technology, but it is the way people buy and sell things lately, maybe replacing Ebay, just a bit. I have a few things around the house, that I decided I would give away or sell on the site. I wanted to start off slow, so I choose an item to give away, therefore, not dealing with the bargaining that comes with the Internet garage sale. I don't do garage sales. I don't go to them and I most certainly don't hold them. I tell Marcy, I'll help get the stuff down from the attic or up from the basement, but that is the end of my garage sale "help." I really don't have the patience to argue with people about the worth of my crap. I'd assume set it on fire than try to get $.05 out of you. My thought is, Goodwill is here for a reason. That being said, I have no problem with Marcy holding one, but just know that I won't be around to help, not even long enough for you to go to the bathroom. Your sale items will have to be left unattended for you to take a potty break. I try not to let Marcy go to garage sales, mainly because she buys shit and we don't need more. I don't care if it was $.50, it's crap and I don't want to be picking that up off the floor, along with 1,000,000 other things I have to pick up. Back to the list, I placed an add for a free weight bench that was in my garage, collecting dust and taking up room. I placed the add at 4:26pm and they said it could take up to 15 minutes to post. At 4:42pm, I received an email asking if I still had it. Still have it? I barely had time to read the email that Craigslist sent me telling me my add was posted, when BING, this guys email shows up. We went back and forth a bit, but he said he was on his way. There were 4 more emails before I could get back out to remove the add. By 6:00pm, it was gone. I have 999,997 toys I'd like to give away, do you think I'd get the same quick response if I tried to get rid of them the same way? I could send Marcy and the kids to a movie and CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see you try to clean house. It might take a year to find you if you get rid of that stuff.I would love to hear your wife`s view on this....lol Steve