Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Fathers Day!

I hope everyone who is a father is either having or had a great day. I'm always torn on this day, glad to have my boys, but always sorry my dad never got to meet them. I love being a dad, even though I have no idea what I'm doing. The post I had a few days ago about dads is a good one, even though the money part has never been an issue, the rest of it is good advice. I hope I can stay focused on the goal. I love my dad, always will, and I miss him a lot, even though we rarely spoke on the phone and I only got to see him once or twice a year. He worked hard all his life, never had a cushy executive job. He was a bread man, worked at a gas station, owned his own restaurant and worked for a piano manufacturer(I'm sure there were more, but that is all I can remember). I learned my "never above any job" attitude from him. I myself have scrubbed toilets, mopped floors and scraped gum off the bottom of restaurant tables, just to make ends meet. What has that taught me? People don't know how to pee in public restrooms properly, spilled soda can get sticky enough to pull off a loafer if not taken care of promptly, and gum scrapped from the bottom of tables usually still has a little flavor left. Dad once told me a story that I always love, and can totally relate to. He got a job at a slaughter house, working in the office. On day one, new employees always got a tour of the plant. He said, once he saw the blood and got the explanation of how "it" occurred, not only was that day his first, but also his last. He didn't become a vegetarian, but he had a much better idea of the process and was thankful for those that did "it." My dad was a smartass, so you can thank him for that trait in all of my brothers and sisters. Funny how that trait skipped me. There is so much I wish I could share with him, but that opportunity won't happen here on earth. I'm glad I had the time I did with him, I look forward to seeing him again, but not quite yet. Thanks for everything, Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had the best Dad! He really knew how to tell a great "MAAAAASH" story:) I can't believe that wasn't on your blog. You tell that story so well. Hope you and Marcy have a great trip.