Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Customer service 101

I've written about my issues with customer service before, but here is one that I just don't understand. Our local cable company is Mediacom. There is no other option, it is them or a dish. I was with them for several years, but we always had trouble with our Internet and they raised their prices every month, without adding any value to that increase. I'm well aware that the cost of business is going up, but they seemed to up their rates $3 or $4 every month and then throw you a new channel every six months, but it was never a channel that you would ever watch. Hell, maybe they never actually added the channel, I never checked. Who wants to watch a 24 hour cat grooming channel, or whatever the hell they made up. I finally had enough and switched to DirecTV, which I had before and never had any trouble. Mediacom always runs adds about how you loose your signal during storms, which I have, but I've never lost it as much as I lost my cable. I've been happy with my switch and have watched reports that Mediacom has raised their rates even more. That's all fine and good. It's their business and they can run it and do with it, whatever they wish. The problem I have is, the amount of money they spend to try and get me, and thousands of others who switched to a dish, back. I get something in the mail every week trying to lure me back. I had a guy stop at my house last night with a deal to get me back. It was all three of their services, cable, phone and Internet, for $100 a month for 2 years. That's a good deal, but why don't you lower your rates for the customers you have, and they won't leave? I took customer service classes, way back when I was in charge of that department at a previous job. The first thing we learned was, it's cheaper to give a little to keep a current customer, than it is to acquire a new customer, by a lot. So it's fine and dandy to offer these good deals to get new customers, but you all ready had me, so you should have tried just a little bit to keep me. I was paying more than $100, so just stop trying to bleed me dry, and I stay. They have other issues, like their call in customer service sucks. I mentioned the Internet went out on us all the time, so we had to re-set the modem and the wireless router, almost every day. But I'm convinced they would have far more customers if they would just treat the ones they have, like they are happy they are their customers? Am I crazy? A radical thinker? Not even close, this stuff is customer service 101. Maybe I should offer my consulting services? They'd have to raise their rates to pay for me.

No comments: