Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, May 31, 2010

We won! Well, I didn't win.

Per my last post, we have a new addition to our family. A green anole named Kirby. Here is his first baby picture.

When he first got home, the boys moved him from his small traveling cage to a 10 gallon tank that was all decorated up for him. He has a climbing area, a long stick that goes down to the ground, he is lying on that in this photo and then we have a bunch of fake leaves for him to hide in. I wasn't there when he was moved, but I understand there was an escape and a re-capture. I got home and went right to the tank to check out the little guy, but couldn't locate him. The boys were gone and to be honest, I wasn't 100% sure what he looked like or how big he was. I texted Marcy that I was getting concerned because I still hadn't located him after a 5 minute search. Finally, I located him in the leaves. It was a lot smaller than I had anticipated. (That's what she said)Sorry, that is my The Office quote that I'm addicted to and I can't help myself most days. I typically say it under my breath, but this one had to be published. I was glad I finally located him and now would have an easier time finding him since I knew what he looked like. He is a pretty cool little guy. I'm amazed at how much of a range of color he actually has. He goes from a dark green to a dark brown and blends in to the leaves very well. I fed him some crickets and watched him eat one, pretty cool. I know the boys are going to like watching him all summer, or until they get bored with him and he becomes my responsibility. Probably next Tuesday.

You may have seen that I actually had a night to myself the other night and I can't tell you how good it felt to just have to take care of myself. I didn't have to figure out what to feed 3 of the pickiest eaters in the world. I only had to do a few dishes, clean up one mess and I didn't have to tell one person not to do that. I love my boys, but we have been together alot for the past 4 months and I needed a break. I made myself a great dinner, no peanut butter or jelly involved and watched a pretty funny movie, Zombieland. I didn't have to argue about brushing teeth at bedtime and I didn't have to get out of bed 5 times to tell anyone to go to sleep. It was a break. I picked them up from Michelle the next afternoon and within an hour, we were arguing again. Ahhhh, parenting.

Funny thing happened on Saturday. Our cellular phone contract is up, so that means we get either new free phones, or new inexpensive phones. I went into the local Verizon store to learn why Verizon changed their plans, so if I got the same phone I currently carried, I would have to change my plan and it would cost me an extra $10 per phone per month. The guy was very helpful and explained they added a "limited" data plan to those phones, my guess was to get people hooked on using email or internet on their phone and then they will bump up to the full data package, which is $30 more a month. My current financial situation doesn't have room for an extra $20 per month, let alone $60 a month. I found our new phones and was getting mine set up, but the guy was going to re-activate Marcy's old one since she was in MN and unable to get her new phone. She would be able to go into the store when she got home and have her address book and stuff moved over. When the guy tried to re-activate her phone, it said it was on the "lost or stolen" list. Flash back to Sept. of 2009 when Marcy lost her phone, so I called Verizon and had it de-activated. She found it a short time later, so I called Verizon and they re-activated the phone. Now, after she used the phone for 8 months, they are telling me its still on the lost or stolen list. Nice list. The phone is on it and can still be used? Doesn't sound like a good system. Long story short, they couldn't re-activate her old phone, so now she is without one. I activated her phone and decided to overnight it to her, which wouldn't get there until Tuesday because of the holiday. I get to the shipping place and the guy says UPS and FedEx have all ready picked up, but I had 20 minutes to get to the post office. I went as fast as I could and made it with 2 minutes to spare. Now I just hope it actually gets there, especially if Marcy is able to come home next week, I want her to have a phone for the drive. I tried to do something nice by getting her a new phone and end up making it so she has no phone. Strike one. Since she didn't have a phone, I couldn't even tell her what had happened. I tried to call the place she is at, but since they are technically closed, I was in voicemail hell. Luckily, she borrowed a phone and called me and I explained. Wouldn't be my life if it went how I wanted.

3 comments:

CJH said...

I think we need a critter update....how's it going?

CJH said...

uhm....sorry Mark...that was me, I guess I was still logged in to my Robin's Nest Google Group...ooops...

CJH said...

I give up...don't know why it's calling me "Robin's Nest"...I'm having an identity crisis. Chad.