Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Are you kidding me?

I heard about the enclosed article this morning and thought there must be a mistake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23489861/

If you didn't take the time to read the article, or its gone, here is a summary. A clinic in Las Vegas recently was exposed as reusing syringes and vials of medication. Didn't I hear, for the last 10 years, that reusing syringes is not recommended? Shouldn't a health care facility (I use that term loosely in this case) know the dangers? Didn't they get the memo? There is mention in the article to "saving money." Holy crap, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I'm not an expert on syringe cost, so I looked them up on the Internet. I don't know what kinds are used for what reason, but the range I found was $.3782 per syringe to $.4339. You read that right, they are less than a dollar each. Like I said, there may be others that are more expensive, but it can't be that much. Is this where you really want to make your profit margin, on the life of the people you are supposed to be helping? This pisses me off to no end. You mean to tell me that all of the nurses (I use that term loosely to describe these people) administered medicine with used needles and it never once occurred to them that this could be wrong? Have we lost all of our morals or sense of right and wrong? They weren't actually earning more money by saving the company money, I would assume. Were they concerned for their jobs? So you feel the choice to risk lives is a better idea than looking for something else? How about you just don't comply to the rule, let them fire you, collect unemployment until you find a new one and blow the whistle on the whole friggin operation? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be poor than possible kill someone. But then, I'm funny that way.

No comments: