Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm gonna kill that rat! and Oprah

On Feb. 2nd, something happened that upset me. We all waited around for a fat rat to tell us if we were going to be miserable or happy, he chose miserable. The rat I refer to is Punxsutawney Phil, and I hate him. In Iowa, we have had a harsh winter. The temps have been low and the snow has been high. I read an article on Feb. 24th, that Des Moines has had 48.3 inches of snow this winter. We have since had 7 or 8 more. If you do that simple math, we have had about 56 inches of snow. That's 4 and a half feet of snow, and we don't have many places to ski to take advantage of that much. The most recent snow being last night in which we had almost 70 degrees on Sunday, then 3 to 4 inches on the ground when we got up. THAT SUCKS. We had clear streets and driveways for all of one day and now the snow and ice have piled up making small cliffs, at least that is what they look like in my little car. Did I mention that I got stuck in my own garage a few weeks back? The car was in the garage over night and the snow that built up behind the front tires had fallen off onto the garage floor. Now that my new car has an engine that is more suited for weed whacking than actually driving, I was unable to back over this pile of now frozen ice. I had to pull up and get a running start in reverse to get over it. Then I had to get out and use my ice scraper to get this mini Everest off the floor, seeing as how I didn't have a base camp set up to make my next trip into the garage a two day event. The pot holes on one of the streets I drive on everyday are so big, I'm afraid if I drive in one, I will be lost until the city crews try to fill it in mid June. Seriously, I'm afraid my little Cheerio tires will explode with the depth they would have to go in. My new car doesn't even have a spare tire, it has a "repair kit," which I think includes a pack of gum and a hand pump. So back to the rat, I blame him for this last snow and any future snows for the next 2 weeks. Just remember, if Phil turns up "missing," you know nothing.

I've mentioned my allergy attacks that happen just about every Sunday night. Well they just got worse. I watched Oprah's Big Give last night and sure enough, allergies. There are a few things that I don't like about the show, for one, they keep telling me a running total of the amount of money they have given/raised. Doesn't seem to be the point, but since they all do it, maybe they are supposed to. If so, I don't like it. If you didn't see it, I will assume you know who Oprah is. (If not, please buy a TV or read any other website other than mine, but now mine is included, and they will say something about her) She picked 10 people that are supposed to help some pre-choosen people. It turns out it is a competition, but I'm not even going to try and explain how the show works, you'll have to check it out. One of the people they helped was, a woman and her 2 daughters who had just lost their father/husband, just six weeks earlier, to a shooting. It just showed me, again, how precious life is and not to take it for granted. I just recently upped my life insurance trying to avoid the same situation this woman was facing, in the event something happens to me. I looked at this woman and my heart just broke. She was facing loosing her house and not being able to pay her bills. I wouldn't want Marcy and the boys to have to go through that, as well as not having me around. The 2 guys that were assigned her raised some money to help with the house and just did a bunch of stuff to help her. Really cool, I will be checking in again. All of the people they helped were deserving and I'm anxious to see who else they help, and how.

No comments: