Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Death of a friend, hopeful birth of a new one.

As you know, if you know me at all, that I love Christian music. Part of my journey back to Christ was in part do to a radio station here in Des Moines called the "Q." Recently, the station went "dead," at least on air that is. There were rumors going around about what was happening, but it was obvious by the website, that it is coming back. (by that I mean, there is a new name, 99.5 The Pulse. If it were going away all together, the website would be blank) The station played the best mix of upbeat Christian music on the air. Des Moines has 3 Christian stations, the Q being the best for me, hands down. I was curious as to what was going to happen to my Q, when I was given the chance to meet with the stations general manager. He explained to me the new direction of the station and I must say I was impressed with their vision. He explained to me that the station is actually part of a ministry that is trying to bring non-believers to Christ, sounds good. Their plan is to meld mainstream music (with positive lyrics I would assume) with Christian music to bring people the message of God's love. Sounds real good. I'm assuming we won't here "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mixalot, seeing as how the lyrics might be considered a bit off taste. I'm excited to hear what the new play list will be. You may or may not know that I'm a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, so my music taste is pretty much all over the board. I'm not under any illusion that they will play Chili's, some of their songs might be considered a bit off taste as well. (See book review below) Other than country, I like most kinds of music. A mix of Christian and popular mainstream sounds exciting. I feel that, seeing as how their goal is to bring new people to Christ, this seems like a good place to start. The station has been "dead" for a week now and as I understand it, will be re-born soon. I'll let you know what I think when it goes live.



I mentioned a book review, which just happens to be about Anthony Kedis, the lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. To say he has had a drug problem is like saying lava is warm. He was in and out of so many rehab centers, I'm not sure he even remembers them all. Of course, he goes through his entire childhood, which was crazy to say the least. Being a fan of the group, I found the book filled with a lot of band history and behind the music stories. He talks about some of the producers they worked with, what the meaning of some of the lyrics are and how the band actually brought all of their sounds together. If you like the Chilis, you have to read this. My copy is all ready requested by 2 people, but you can get on the waiting list if you want. I just finished a book by Slash of Guns n Roses, a very good read as well. I spent a lot of time in high school and beyond listening to G & R, so it was pretty cool to hear their story. Plus, you got Slash's side of the whole Axel situation. Axel sounds like a controlling mental case, but I'm only getting one side. I see that Axel has a book out as well, maybe I should read the other side.

No comments: