Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm Absolut-ly pissed

So I read the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/us_nm/mexico_absolut_dc

To give you a brief summary, Absolut vodka has pulled an ad showing a map from 1848 with most of the western US still under Mexican control, with the words "In an Absolut world." I'm assuming that they were implying what a perfect world it would be if the map were current. This ad was only shown in Mexico, mind you. Apparently, people, and by people I mean Americans, are offended by this because they are calling for a boycott of the vodka. I must really be getting more and more easy going in my old age, because I don't find the ad the least bit offensive. First off, the map is history, not a dream. Second, the ad was aimed at Mexicans, which I would think a majority would agree with what the ad was implying. Are Americans afraid that the ad will spark some kind of revolution? I don't think a vodka ad will cause the Mexican government to attack the US government to get back a bunch of desert. OK, maybe they want southern California, but Arizona? You think the Mexican army stands a chance of getting more than 1 mile into Texas before every armed Texan unloads the strong box of ammo they have been saving for just such the occasion? They would have to come up through CA, where they could throw burritos to distract the surfers and pretty much walk in. I know people are concerned about the US bashing that takes place in the world, but come on, lets not blame a liquor ad for a much deeper problem. If you are going to pour your vodka down the drain, don't do it because of a map from 1848, do it because it tastes like crap and you don't need it.

No comments: