Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Does this smell funny to you?

So times are tuff for a lot of people. I feel blessed that I have a job that seems secure, or at least as secure as a job with a company that is owned by a Belgian that is dependant on oil, can be. I'm not rich, never will be, unless you are interested in buying Diaper Boy, the game. I do, however, recognize that I need to tighten my belt, which is getting harder and harder with the ever growing belly that resides, well, around it. One way I've done this is to not eat lunches out as often. Most weeks, I eat out once or less, a far cry from 1 year ago. There are always exceptions, like getting up a 5:30am and being so damn tired that I walk out of the house without filling the cooler I call a lunch box. I'm just glad that I at east remembered to put my pants on before I left, perhaps I should put my pants in the fridge to help remind me. One of my new food staples is yogurt. I've never been much of a yogurt fan, but never hated it either. As long as it's fresh, I feel fairly safe in eating it. I had a really bad experience with a spoiled dairy product that I didn't know was spoiled until I had half a pint down my gullet and realized something was amiss. Said dairy product made a second showing in the sink as I used every stomach muscle I had to retrieve it. Seeing as how I worked at a restaurant, I caused quite a commotion in the kitchen. Today I opened my yogurt to see a slight "liquid" that was covering the solid lump below. I checked the date on the lid, May 19, 2008. Since today is April 23, 2008, I figured it was probably good and began to stir. I must have stared at it for a couple of minutes, thinking in my head "Do I try it?" Milk regurgitation was flashing before my eyes and I really didn't want to go down that road again. I gave it a sniff, smelled OK. I touched my tongue to the spoon, nothing revolting. I decided to dive in and keep my fingers crossed. I have little experience in the yogurt arts, so I'm not real sure how bad it can look and still be good, but I think this was ok. If you never hear from me again, seek out the AE container in my trash at work and sue the piss out of them, so maybe you won't be poor like me and forced to eat a rotten milk product for both health and economical reasons.

No comments: