Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, April 7, 2008

Rehoboth Choir

I've written about my trip to the Navajo reservation, but not sure that I've said too much about where we stay. It's a Christian school called Rehoboth and they have a choir that includes a lot of Navajo kids. They were on tour the last couple of weeks and made a stop in West Des Moines to sing at our church services and give a concert Saturday night. People in the church were hosting them in our homes, so as to not incur hotel expenses. We had two kids stay with us, Xaiver, who is Navajo, and David, who is not. Our jobs as host involved showing up at church at 11:30 on Saturday morning with a pizza to share, meet the kids, have lunch and try to get to know them a bit, and then pick them up and take them home after the concert to sleep. Our boys made signs with our Rehoboth boys names on them and were really excited to meet them. They were also excited to have the guys stay in their room, because that meant they got to sleep on our floor, which they love for some reason. So as the Rehoboth kids were coming in, Mason and Makiah were holding up their signs, all though Makiah had his backwards to begin with and then had his fingers covering the name for a brief time. Once we got that settled, we met Xavier and David and sat down to talk and have lunch. We only got to know them a little bit and most of my questions were about their tour they were on and what they had seen. They seemed to have had a good time, spent quite a bit of time at a Lakota Tribe reservation in South Dakota, did a concert in northern Iowa, one in Pella Iowa and then ours. They were leaving Sunday morning, heading back to NM, the tour finally over. As soon as we got them home, Makiah started giving them a tour of the house, like they had never been in one before. He pointed out the kitchen table and chairs, and even the bar stools that could be used to sit at the counter and eat, if they so desired. It made me laugh, he doesn't have a real grasp that other people from other states, live like we do, tables and all. Marcy and our boys hit the hay around 10ish and I stayed up the David and Xavier to watch a little SNL. I'm amazed at what a comfort that show is to me. Even when it isn't funny, I watch because I always have. When it goes off the air, whenever that may be, I'm sure I'll have a grieving period. This particular show was all right. David wasn't able to speak much because he had a throat issue. He had swelling of that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat. I'd say what it was, but I'm afraid if I tried to spell it, it would be incorrect and I would actually spell out a part of the female anatomy, which is what it sounds like when you say it out loud. Besides, you know what I'm talking about and probably don't know what it's called and would accuse me of the female body part so I'm actually saving you the embarrassment. Anyhoo, we stayed up until 12:30am, which is way past old guy bedtime, so I was really tired all day Sunday. I went to church at 10.00am Sunday to help stuff some lunch bags for the kids while they were on the bus, got home in time to feed the boys, play outside and just as I sat down to maybe catch a snooze, Marcy got home and reminded me we had to be at a friends house in 45 minutes for our small group meeting, damn! I would have gotten to sleep early that night, but Marcy and I are also taking a marriage class on Wed. nights, and we hadn't done our homework yet. That is another thing, when I agreed to this class, I was not informed of a book, which came with the class, or of the homework. I assumed the class would be someone telling me what I should be doing for my wife and me realizing I suck as a husband, isn't that how most talk shows go? I love Marcy and try to do things to make her happy, or at least not make her mad, but whenever we do one of these classes, it points out all of the area's that I "need improvement." After our homework, it was really late, but I think I have a whole list of new area's that I'm bad at that I didn't know existed, Yea! I kid, I think the class will be great and want to do whatever I can to avoid the big "D," after all, I already had one of those and I'm not really interested in signing up for another. Love you Honey!

1 comment:

CJH said...

We missed the kids concert on Saturday night, but heard it was good. Nice job out of you for helping!

Didn't know you were at the marriage class, we're in it too, will look for you this week...