Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day one of the next 4 years

The celebration is done, the party hats and dresses should all be back in the closet and now it's time to get to work. As I sat in my car dealerships waiting room, waiting for my oil change and watching Obama's inauguration, I couldn't help in feeling proud of our country. We have come a long way. I heard several people say what Obama said, that not so many years ago, a man like President Obama wouldn't even be able to eat in the same restaurant as me, but now, leads me into hopefully a brighter tomorrow. WOW, that is a big change in a fairly short amount of time, in the grand scheme of things. As I listened to his speech, I have hope. It seems every time I hear him speak, I have hope. Hope for a brighter financial future for America. Hope to help in the world and be thought of as a country of compassion and world solidarity, not bombs and interference. I'm sure there are thousands of black kids that look into the future and now know, they CAN be anything they want to be. I never thought I would see a black president in my life time. I've written this in my blog before, and I would have said the same thing if McCain had been elected, lets hope that Obama does such a good job that the Republicans don't even field a candidate in 2012 because they know he/she would get slaughtered. God bless the USA!

Now, that being said, why in the hell would the TV stations show an hour of the presidents car going down the street at 2 miles per hour? Man that was boring. I was waiting for the parade to begin to see the pride of Iowa, the Isiserettes, march for the president. I know I have mentioned them before on my blog, because I love them, but in case you haven't read about them, they are a drum a dance corp. that play a beat that you can't help but move around to (Even a rhythmless white guy like me). The parade was supposed to start at 1:30pm, but at 3:00pm, the president still wasn't to the viewing stand. By the time he got there and the parade started, the channel we were watching (NBC) switched to regular programming and didn't show the parade. We quickly changed over to CBS, which was at commercial. We knew the Isiserettes were at the beginning of the parade, so we switched over to ABC, which on the non-cable TV we were watching, was the crappiest picture of them all. Of course, they showed the parade and there the Isiserettes were, in all their blurry dis-colored glory. The only problem was, ABC said they were some marching band from some other state, damn it. We did get to see them briefly and they were ROCKING it!!! They switched back to show Michelle Obama dancing to the drum beat, YES! Later, we were able to see better shots of them on the local news, which was great. I've always had a thing for drums. I wanted to play them when I was a kid, but for some reason, my mom didn't think that would be a good idea. Now Makiah wants to play the drums and I'm all for getting him a set. I told him I know a guy in the Isiserettes and now he really wants to meet him. I'll take him to a show they do this summer, I know that will only step up the "I want to play the drums" non-stop badgering, but at least he can hear what it's supposed to sound like. He got a guitar for Christmas and plays it all the time, so if he could learn both instruments, he could be his own band.

The count down to El Paso is under way. My next mission trip to that area is Feb. 7th thru the 14th and this year will be completely different than previous years. We've talked about some of the projects we might/will be doing and they sound great. As long as we get to serve, the projects are immaterial. One thing we always say on this trip, the project may change, but the mission stays the same. Spread the love of Jesus Christ to all of his children, whether they live in the USA or Mexico, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. I'm really excited to go, I look forward to it every year. When I return, I will turn my focus to South Africa in July. My fund raising is going well. I'm half way there and have not only received donations, but have rekindled relationships that were dormant for years. God works in mysterious ways.

No comments: