Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, January 5, 2009

The house

So I thought I would share a little on the house. The pictures on the link below are good enough, so I won't be taking anymore. I may have mentioned that the road to the house is narrow with a blind corner, fun. Once you get to the house, the driveway is narrow and has a circle drive at the end that is as wide as the Mustang. I have to park in a little spot so the people next door can still get by, a little challenging. In the middle of the circle drive is a koi (sp?) pond, but until the water clears up, you can't see the fish. They've had so much rain here that the water is dirty in the pond. It is raining now, at 7:30 am, but it's supposed to be clear the rest of today, we'll see. We didn't have any rain yesterday until we got home for the night, then got to listen to the rain, really nice. The house has turned out great, plenty of room, the kitchen has everything we have needed so far, no major bug problem and the shower has good water pressure. I was a little nervous, since I picked it out with no help. If the house was crappy, that might put a damper on the whole week. The one thing that strikes me as humorous is, there are seven clocks in this one bedroom house, but only two of them have the correct time. I'm not going to try and figure out how to fix the ones that are wrong, seeing as how there are better ways to spend my day. I walked around the yard yesterday and found a banana tree, a coconut tree (loaded with nuts), papaya tree, and a bunch others that, of course, I have no idea what they are. The ground is very spongey because of all of the rain, so I didn't venture to far off. Our neighbors gave us some fresh bananas that were really good, a bit sweeter than what I'm used to. We also had our first encounter with a gecko. He was on our car and when Marcy tried to catch him, he ran into the car. I put the top down, on the car not Marcy, and hoped he would let himself out. I have no idea if he did or if he has set up a new home in the back. I had a little trouble with the convertible top, putting it back up that is. When you put the top down, it rolls the windows down, the two front and the two back little windows. When you put the top up, it doesn't roll them back up, so you do that with the regular power window controls. That's fine for the big windows, but I couldn't figure out how to get the two little ones back up. I kept trying the two methods I thought would work, which didn't, but I kept trying them. I finally noticed a third window control, that I thought was the lock, that when I pushed it, both small windows rolled up. I'm very proud of my intelligence, it only took me three hours to figure it out. The drive we did yesterday was amazing. It's one of those things that makes me wonder if the people who have always lived here, know just how beautiful it is. Just like the lady I have written about before, that I met in Appalachia who didn't even know that the view from her front porch was absolutely gorgeous. We tend to forget to appreciate the things we have in our life, whether it be family, work or the view from our front porch. I love Iowa and think it is beautiful, in its own way, but Hawaii is ridiculous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely and are having a good time (well I assume Marcy is having a good time too but you haven't mentioned that). David said to tell you that if you see "Dog" to get his autograph. :) Enjoy your week.
Love you,
Vickie

Markymark said...

As far as Marcy having a good time, not my problem I got her here, she better just smile and fake it:) Actually, she tells me she is having fun, I'm assuming she wouldn't lie about that. Once she gets to snorkel she will be really happy. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow. Tell David I'll keep my eyes out for Dog!

CJH said...

Dog's the man...I'll take an autograph too...