Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Monday, January 5, 2009

Day two

We decided to head to Spouting Horn, which is basically holes in the lava shore and when the waves roll in, the water spouts through the holes.

It happens every few seconds, so its not like one of those things you have to sit for an hour if you missed it, ala a geyser. It's really cool to see how the lava cooled here, you can see the mud like formations. I found it interesting anyway. We drove along the coast for awhile, waiting to go to Sunshine market, which we were told by our neighbors was a good place to buy fresh island fruit and vegetables. Marcy had read that you needed to get there early because they sell out quickly. It opened at noon, so we drove around until we found it, about 10 minutes until noon. The parking lot was PACKED and I had to pull on the grass, which everyone else was doing, so monkey see monkey do. We walked to where we could see umbrella tops and waited in the crowd until they let us in. Some dude started trying to tell the masses something, but I really couldn't hear him. The mob was getting restless, so he let us go. The sea of people started flowing towards the umbrellas, only to be stopped by dude, who was saying something else, but again, I couldn't hear him. He finally let us go and it was a mad dash to the tents and cars to buy their stuff. We found a lady who was selling a bunch of stuff and had some really big pineapples, I'm in. I love pineapples, so Marcy started weaseling her way to the front and ended up squeezed in between two tables and snagged us a pineapple, paid for it, but then couldn't get out because another lady had squeezed in between the same two tables, blocking her in. She hadn't made her purchase and wasn't willing to give up her spot in line to let Marcy out. Her husband finally convinced her to release Marcy, so we headed off. The whole time she was trying to buy our fruit, I was standing 3 feet away fending blows from a bunch of 90 year old lady's determined to get to the table next to me. I tried to get out of the way, but if you moved to let one lady through, your were probably moving into the path of another and she just elbowed me in the kidney and kept right on going. I was like a human pinball, bouncing from elbow to elbow of four foot two old ladies. We finally got out of that area and headed along to try and buy a papaya, since neither of us had ever eaten one, we figured we would give one a try. People at this place were nuts, like they have never been able to buy fresh produce before. I wanted to yell that we were at the grocery store the day before and the fruit and vegetables looked just as good and were about the same price. I think it's one of those deals that everyone thinks this market is cheaper, when it actually isn't. I was amazed at the fight for a bag of fresh basil. I wouldn't know what to do with fresh basil if someone gave me a bag. Maybe they are smoking it. We did a little shopping, had some lunch and headed back to the house. The rain at the house has stopped, so maybe we will head out for a walk. It didn't rain on us at the beach all morning. The weather here is as screwy as any place I have ever been. Rain at the house, drive 2 minutes and no rain and lots of sun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am catching up on your blog. Sounds like you and Marcy are having a great time and what a beautiful place! I also just realized how much you look like Steve in the "Family Shot" picture! Wow!

Have fun.

Love Lisa

Markymark said...

That was what I thought when I saw the picture. We could be twins, born 10 years apart with two sisters born in between. Not sure how that would work, maybe we should just go with look a like.