Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, May 15, 2008

COME ON!!!!!, Part 2

As a companion to my last post, here in Iowa, we have a number you can call if you see someone littering. If there is one thing that pisses me off (actually, there are a bunch), is some guy tossing a bag of garbage out his car window because he doesn't want to wait until he gets home or until the next time he fills up his car with gas. There are trash cans everywhere, so there is no excuse to toss it out. I was merging onto the local interstate one day, about a year ago, when the guy in the pickup truck in front of me tossed a fast food bag, filled to the rim with garbage, right out the window. It hit the ground and blew up with a multi colored paper explosion. I didn't know about the phone number then, so I didn't call. Plus, I was busy dodging all this stuff in the road, which at that instant, I didn't know what he had thrown out, could have been glass or puppies, didn't want to find out by running over it. I see people daily, tossing there lit cigarettes out the window, and if you live in Iowa, and I see you do it, your getting called on. More of a fire hazard, in the dry summer months, than it is a garbage problem. ( a fire was started a few years back that they tied directly to a tossed cigarette, and I'm sure there are more) My opinion is, if you have the smoking habit, fine, but put it out in the ashtray, not on the highway. Don't tell me it messes up you car or God forbid, you have to empty the ash tray. It's your habit, not mine, so if you think it is messy or gross, stop it. I used to shit my pants when I was little, but that's gross, so I don't do it any more. You wouldn't expect to see me driving down the road with my ass out the window because I didn't want to dirty up my car or put the doodoo in the proper receptacle, now would you? Don't answer that, you know what I mean. When you call the number, you give details like car make and model, color, where you saw them litter, what they threw out and of course, license plate number. They then send that car owner a letter, telling them that they were "caught" littering and I'm guessing a long winded explanation as to why we shouldn't do that. There is no fine, seeing as how people would call in on their buddies, just so they would get a ticket. I'm not sure that the letter will change their habits, but it might. I love my state and I think it's beautiful, in its own no mountain, no ocean, kind of way. In the spring, the road sides are usually covered in natural wild flowers and right now, the grass is a deep shade of green. We don't need to see the marketing campaigns of cell phone companies or out dated McDonalds coupons, jammed in the bushes because some lazy guy couldn't wait 10 minutes to be next to a garbage can. I'm trying to teach my kids the same thing, one, don't shit in your pants, and two, don't litter.

1 comment:

CJH said...

Even more fun...be behind them on your motorcycle when they throw the burning cigarette out the window... Now that is fun...?