Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, May 22, 2008

I mentioned sometime ago, that I was asked to be on the board of directors for a local ministry that happens to have a radio station that I listen to regularly. Well I'm now on the board and had my first meeting. It's very interesting to be a part of and I hope I can contribute to the cause. For those of you that want to check it out, here is the website:

http://www.pulse995.com/


Read the mission, it will help you to understand what the ministry is all about. If you have any questions, let me know, I'd be glad to talk about it. Those of you that are local, I'll be talking to you soon about the opportunity to help support this ministry that is trying to bring people to Christ through today's music, both Christian and secular. If you are sceptical that music can play a part in a persons growth or its ability to bring you closer to Christ, let me tell you that I'm living proof it can. Early on, in my return to the church, I was amazed at the growth of Christian music from what I knew it as a kid. I'm not much into hymns anymore. I grew up with the hair bands of the 80's and love the feel of that music. Now I know that there are bands that have the beat and rhythm that I fell in love with, only the lyrics are positive and powerful. There are a lot of songs that deal with the same struggles I go through everyday. I'm really not into the negative lyrics of so many bands that are out on mainstream radio anymore, its just my personal growth as a human and a Christian. Now I've been asked to help make this radio station reach it's target audience, which is young non-believers or young people in general, to help with their growth. This being said, one of my responsibilities is to be sure that, financially, the station stays around to employ the people at the station and try to reach those that need reaching. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but my guess would be that seeing as how it is Christian, a lot of non-Christian businesses or businesses that are afraid to be affiliated with the station, won't advertise. I haven't heard that from any one, but that would be my guess. I feel it is my duty, in fact we are told in the bible, to grow the kingdom, whether it be by giving financially to a ministry or by going out and making disciples. I like to do both, although my financial giving is stretched thin. If you are looking for something to help support, I ask you to read the mission statement, listen to the station, ask me questions, and pray to God for guidance. Now I'll get off my soapbox, for now.

I saw two license plates last week that made me laugh. One was on a little squareish yellow car and the plate was, SPNGBOB, cute. Then, for you Seinfeld fans, there was one that said MULVA. If that isn't funny to you, you can't call yourself a Seinfeld fan.

We are now in the middle of Memorial weekend and I have a lot of people to remember. This weekend brings back memories of the Indy 500, both while we lived in Indianapolis and times we watched the race on TV once we moved away. I always get a funny feeling when it is on. It was the only race that Mom and my step-father Bill, would watch, not big race or sports fans. We always watched the race. This weekend brings back memories of Dad, Grandma's and Grandpa's and even childhood memories of people and places from long ago. I can say that now that I recently realized that I will be 40 years old this year. I've never been one to worry about, or act, my age, but 40 seems like it might cause me to consider the possibility that depends are in my near future. Not that 40 is that old (sorry to my sisters and brother who have reached this age so gracefully), but it seems like 20 was just yesterday and I'm afraid 60 will come tomorrow and I'm not ready for that yet. I guess I shouldn't worry about turning 40, when it isn't a sure thing. My vacation is quickly approaching and the 2 weeks away, much of it spent in a minivan, may send me to my grave way earlier. I've made the final payment on the rental house, so none of us can back out now. Marcy and I have planned our trip down with a few stops for sightseeing, one at an aquarium in KY and a few national parks, then it's off to NC for 2 nights and one day in an ocean front hotel and then on to the house with the whole Shrum clan. First, I head to Atlanta on Tuesday for a quick trip into one of my warehouses, back home on Wed. Then I have a week in CA before the 2 weeks on the road and in NC. I think June will wear me out, but it should be a lot of fun. I hope to post from GA on Tuesday, I'm sure I'll sit next to either head shit handler at the local treatment plant, who just got off work, or Chatty Cathy who is completely comfortable in sharing details of all of her bodily functions with me. Stay tuned.

No comments: